Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie Reloader who just did my 1st 200 reloader rounds in my new Dillon 550B. (A wonderful machine, by the way.)
My question: Is it ok to keep the remaining powder in the reloader tube or should I store it back in the powder container? I live in the humid climate of Northern Virginia and would like the advise of the reloading greybeards on this.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
My own opinion, is that unless one is Loading almost every day, then, it is best to put the remaining Powder back into it's container once done with a Loading session.

This also alleviates any worries later on, after some long pause, where one may not always feel confident one remembers just which Powder it is, which is still in the Hopper. Of course, if one only has one Powder and only uses one Powder, then that is not a worry! Lol.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
I'm reasonably sure the problem has been correct by now, but I remember reading an old Skeeter Skelton magazine article about some reloads causing a serious problem.
They traced the problem down to the fact that the reloader had left the powder in the plastic powder measure for months and the plastic had out-gassed chemicals that affected the powder.
Advice was to never leave powder in the tube after you were finished with that days batch.

As above, they probably fixed that issue with more modern plastics, but there's just too many good reasons not to return it to the original can.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
A slightly different view. I only use one powder (TiteGroup) in my Dillon 650. Any experimenting with different powders gets done on the Rockchucker. The reloader is in a conditioned space, but I do put a heavy sock over the powder measure to keep out light which is the greatest danger to the powder. This system has worked fine for over 13 years. I've never had a squib load, an overcharge, or a bad primer in 40+ years of reloading - no cartridge failures of any kind. That's been the result of an almost-anal emphasis on safety and quality when I reload.

Buck

·
Registered
153 Posts
Those who have a press set up for just one thing and only load that one thing on that press generally keep the powder in the measure. Quite a few of us then to reload 100 of so rounds as we pass the press.
However,
1) Bright light (like the sun) shining on the hopper can cause problems
2) The powder will certainly equilibrate to the environment, picking up moisture and releasing moisture
3) The plastic hopper will darken (it will also darken if exposed to bright light (like the sun)

Direct sun never hits my presses and I don't have mercury-vapor or other intense lights in reloading area--and I really don't care if the hopper turns dark.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
The powder goes back in the can after a batch.
I run 4 turrets and a single stage and 5-(count'em... FIVE) powder measures.
The beauty of the multiple press set-up is you have dedicated equipment for specific operations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The powder goes back in the can after a batch.
I run 4 turrets and a single stage and 5-(count'em... FIVE) powder measures.
The beauty of the multiple press set-up is you have dedicated equipment for specific operations.
what a luxury to have that much room for your setuo.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I HAVE BEEN HANDLOADING ALMOST continuously for two weeks now as we are burning up over 800+ rounds a week in our new million dollar indoor range here in RCSD. I empty the Redding/RCBS/LYMAN powder measures every night and refill in the morning. Have done so for 50+ years now that I think about it.
I TOO REMEMBER what Skeeter Skelton had to say about leaving propellents in his measure and all the problems it cost him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a bunch of 3x5 cards cut in half. I write the Powder and the Load weight on them boldly and insert them in the powder measure so they read from inside. I also have put them on outside using a rubber band. if your lid fits well and the time between reloading sessions is not too long, i think it is fine in the hopper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts