Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I don't collect old ammo but had this given to me and thought it was pretty cool. Montgomery Wards 22lr and notice the price on the 38 special,
$4.85 from Pic-n-Save (old Florida store) which does not exist anymore. I guess it will still shoot OK.
Jim

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
What are the Remington ones?

Looks like the Box says "Full Metal Jacket'.

Does it say anything else?

Anyway, how cool! I love the old Boxes...there's just something 'right' about them.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remington ones are 158 gr full metal jacket. The Western ones say 38 special 158 grain lubaloy and are $4.85 per box also.
Jim

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Really not that old. I bought that ammo new and that was only in my youth. Remington phased out those boxes in the late 50's.

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
I'd shoot'em ;)

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I plan to do this week, send them down range with my 3rd gen SAA 357 and the 22's will go with my 22 Peacemaker.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to ask a stupid question but how can the boxes be collectible and the ammo not?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Signal, the ammo is collectable, but its not worth anymore than what a new box of shells would be so youd about break even dollar wise , around my area the box and shells would be worth about 30 bucks to a collector while box in itself is worth between 5 to 10 bucks.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Is there an echo in here? As I said, collectors probably would pay about new price for it, give or take, and be glad to get it.

It is not just cartridge collectors who would like it. For instance, many gun collectors like to display period-correct ammunition with their guns. I have a small ammunition collection just for that purpose. Remember, the 1950s saw some very scarce collector Colts and other brands. Don't shoot it; sell it.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks I appreciate the advice, I will find someone who has an interest in collecting it and shoot some new ammo.
Jim

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Be careful with old, lead bullet ammo. If it has been exposed to high temperatures sometime over the years, the lubricant may have melted and affected the powder or even the primer.

I was given an old Colt Police Positive .38 revolver some years ago and a couple boxes of pre-war ammo came with it. I shot a few rounds of that ammo, but stopped when I experienced a couple of hang fires. I pulled the bullets from a few of the cartridges and found the powder was in a kind of greasy lump.

- - - -Buckspen

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not going to shoot it, I would like to find someone that collects older ammo that might just trade me for some newer ammo that I can shoot with no worries but either way I won't shoot it.
Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts