Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Estate sale recovery in very poor condition. After cleanup got it open and functioning. Marking on left side of nickel 3 1/2 barrel is Colt- D nothing else visible. It will not chamber 32 SW. I just tried to add photo and lost the entire thread so I guess photos are still down. Any info on this old girl appreciated. Photo 4th try. More info and photos: It will chamber a 32 long RF (my cartridge collection)
1202170804.jpg 1202170806b.jpg

1202170803a.jpg

1201171502.jpg

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The firing pin position through the frame indicates a RF cartridge. Oblong hole with the pin stopping at the bottom as against a rim.

Add hammer down photo shows pin at bottom
1202170831.jpg

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
My best guess is a New Pocket, chambered for .32 Long or Short Colt. The shape of the grip, hard rubber stocks with "COLT" and the hammer shape tend to make me think this. The left side of the barrel should say "Colt D. A. 32". Can you read a serial number on the frame facing the crane or on the butt? Since no other markings are visible it may have been refinished at some point. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Hi. My references all point to a New Pocket DA. The serial number falls in the New Pocket range, indicating manufacture in 1901. I cannot find any indication that Colt made any DAs with swingout cylinders chambered in a rimfire. Very interesting. Could it have been rechambered? Maybe someone with more knowledge than I will chime in to help.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought maybe the play in the F-pin accounted for the full down position,but after several tries the pin always ends up solid at the bottom as if the channel in the frame directs it there. Even though I have several 32 long RF I don't plan on trying to fire one. The SN looks to have been present prior to the nickel plating. No signs that it was originally blued.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The firing pin position through the frame indicates a RF cartridge. Oblong hole with the pin stopping at the bottom as against a rim.

Add hammer down photo shows pin at bottom
View attachment 438490
Looks like a normal Center Fire Recoil Bushing and center hole for the Firing Pin to come through...so, looks normal CF set up to me.

This is a Center Fire Revolver, anyway, and was never offered in .32 or .38 RF.

Try .32 Colt New Police Cartridges...they ought to fit just fine.

It may have had too much 'dry fire' with no spent Shell for the Firing Pin to strike, and with that, has wallowed out the Firing Pin hole somewhat....it does look a little over large.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If .32 S&W cartridges won't fit, it is probably chambered for the .32 Short/Long Colt cartridge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts