Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything is possible, limited on "Just how much money DO you have there, bud"?

I'd be hesitant to try to convert something this old to any cartridge of much power.

Age, uncertain steel, and unknown heat treating make it an unsure proposition.

I'd go for a New Service, since you KNOW they're OK.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 04-01-2005).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If you want a big bore,get a New Service. Those old left wheeler Colts were not the strongest,and the frame is NOT big enough,.41 size frame or not! I did extensive research on having a Colt "357 model" rechambered and rebored to the 10 mm,in 6 shot,when the 10mm first came out about 20 years ago,the walls of cylinder wouldve been too thin.

Pretty sure that .38 long "Cowboy" ammo is being made,and it's easy to reload for, or find a 32/20 bbl. and I will sell you a cylinder for the 32/20 "left wheelers". Better yet,get a gunsmith to ream out the cylinders a little bit to take .38 special,if the gun is a LATE MODEL .38 D.A.Late model .38 D.A.s were made for the .38 Special,the last couple of years before the 1908 switch to the newer design.(I have a nice Officers Target,on the left wheeler frame in .38 Special,that is safe to fire,with mild wad cutters.) The earliest had straight bored cylinders,like the .41 Colt always had,to handle outside lubed .38 Long Colt bullets,with diameters up to .375!!! The bore was large too,so you can image the accuracy with regular .357 sized .38 Special bullets!! Speaking of .357 magnum,some "mental midgets" discovered that the longer .357 mag would fit in these straight bored cylinders,when the .357 first came out!! I guess the larger bore kept pressures down a bit,as only a "few" guns blew up,with injuries and death in one case!! As dfariswheel said,this is older metal!!! Bud

·
Registered
50 Posts
Would an old colt DA in 41 or 38 long be suitable for conversion to something easier to find ammo for?
38 isn't so bad but 41 Colt ain't the easiest stuff to find or remotely cheap to shoot!
Could it be rechambered for something else in old calibers? Maybe 44 specoal, 44-40, 38-40, 32-20, 45 lg colt?
Could cylinder & barrel be rechambered or would I need a new barrel?
Would cost of work make it better to buy a New Service and suck up expense?
Seems the frame is large enough but was the tempering enough for other calibers of that era?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lone Wolf
How do I find out if it is a newer DA 38 so it could handle the 38 Special? Serial number range..?

I saw on some auction a box of 38 Special BLACK Powder. Is that why you are shooting wad cutters in yours, to match black powder levels or just playing it safe?

The 38 DA I have has nada blue left. The barrel has some nasty looking pitting but rifling is fair to good. It locks up fairly tight and has a trigger pull close to 250 pounds. Single is sweet but drops the hammer so hard it hits the frame like a brick.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Flint,Robin is talking about the mid size .41 frame,NOT a SAA or New Service. While the .41 Colt & 38/40 shared the same bore size(and a part of their reputation for inaccuracy) there ain't NO way that cylinder can be bored out for the bottlenecked 38/40 that is as wide as the ,45 Colt at its base and tapers to .40 caliber! Bud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts