Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any members here had old pre-war colt medallions in decent condition they would be willing to let go of for some grips I'm having made. Cap shaped ones from the 1920's-1940's.

The ones below are on eBay but i cant see the fine details well, so i thought I'd check with you guys first. Looking for 2 sets. If you have any you would sell or know where to find some good ones, feel free to PM me or leave a message here. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The ones you're referring to are the ones just before these, with both rampant colts facing foward. Those were 1910-1920s I believe.

The typical medallion after those have the colts facing opposite directions. These look like your normal pre war medallions you see on most vintage police positives/detectives.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
The ones you're referring to are the ones just before these, with both rampant colts facing foward. Those were 1910-1920s and were only in colt autos I believe.

All medallions after those have the colts facing opposite directions. These look like your normal pre war medallions you see on most vintage police positives/detectives.
Be careful using absolutes like "all" and "only". You can find flush mounted, forward facing medallions till about 1922. The medallions shown do not show the detail seen on the early flush mounted medallions.After their introduction, the early recessed medallions can be found on most models

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be careful using absolutes like "all" and "only". You can find flush mounted, forward facing medallions till about 1922. The medallions shown do not show the detail seen on the early flush mounted medallions.After their introduction, the early recessed medallions can be found on most models
You're right, Rick. If there's anything I learned about Colts, it's that there's no absolutes. There's a general rule of thumb but there's always exceptions. For the most part, after 1922-1924, the standard medallions used were switched to the opposite facing horses, but that's not always true. And I'm not super versed on what models the deep dish medallions were used in, so thanks for the clarification.

As for the photo, I agree. A lot of the detail seems to be missing, which I think may be due to poor lighting and photo quality. If you note the reverse side of the medallions, they don't have the crimped edges you would see on a used medallion removed from a set of grips, so if they're genuine Colt, they'd likely be new old stock. Just my guess, though.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I did the same thing. I had a set of grips made by John Culina and sent him a set of the early forward facing medallions to use in the grips. My grips are on an Officers Model and it's fun to watch and see if people looking at the gun realize the medallions are the "old" style!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the same thing. I had a set of grips made by John Culina and sent him a set of the early forward facing medallions to use in the grips. My grips are on an Officers Model and it's fun to watch and see if people looking at the gun realize the medallions are the "old" style!
Haha. That's really cool. I'd love to use the super old original front facing medallions, but unfortunately those are even harder to find than the ones I just got. How many people catch that the medallions are the old style? That takes a special eye to know what they're looking at. I'm sure you have fun with it. =P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts