Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Colt single action army that the serial numbers are not all matching im pretty sure the grips are original. im pretty sure it is a 44-40 the cylinder bottle necks inside, the front sight is short and looks to be brass. timing is good cylinder locks up but if its twisted it will turn about 1/10th of a turn. i am pretty sure this is from lots of years of use. the pistol looks like it was originally nickel plated but most is wore off now. also cylinder pin is not the origional. barrel is 4 3/4". any info/ value is greatly appreciated not looking to sell just trying to learn more about this gun.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Revolver Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol
Electronic device

·
Premium Member
21,831 Posts
Looks like someone put a gripstrap and triggerguard (with their grips) from a newer gun. I am positive the barrel was not originally 4-3/4" long, sine that option was not available when this gun was built 40,000 range. The issue with cylinder movement can probably be taken care of by someone who works on old Colts. It is still probably worth in the $1000 range as a collectible.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The serial # on the frame shows 1877 manufacture but the 44/40 didn't come out until 1878.

"On April 26, 1877 a Single Action Army revolver, serial number 36xxx was shipped from the Colt factory in Hartford, Conn. to the Colt Patent Fire-Arms Mfg. Co., London Agency, London, England. It was one of three sent across the pond that day, but this revolver had the lowest serial number. It also happened to be the first SAA chambered in .44-40 WCF to leave the Colt factory."

American Hunter - A Very Rare Colt

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, a handsome old collectable. Maybe check for numbers on the bottom of the barrel and describe the markings along the top. Somebody here will be able to tell its vintage. As for the home made cylinder pin, you could file a notch in it to let that retaining screw seat fully--make it look better. Also an undersize pin will account for some of the slop in the cylinder lockup. Thanks for the pix.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
"On April 26, 1877 a Single Action Army revolver, serial number 36xxx was shipped from the Colt factory in Hartford, Conn. to the Colt Patent Fire-Arms Mfg. Co., London Agency, London, England. It was one of three sent across the pond that day, but this revolver had the lowest serial number. It also happened to be the first SAA chambered in .44-40 WCF to leave the Colt factory."

American Hunter - A Very Rare Colt
According to my list of colt ser.#'s[Historical Arms & Art by Fred Rose],ser.#36xxx was made in 1876 & the same list states that the 44/40 wasn't introduced by colt until 1878 so that would make it an EXTREMELY rare colt.The problem I've found w/a lot of magazine writers is they don't really do good research & once it's in print it becomes a fact,for instance several writers have written that the old Great Western was made in Germany when in fact they were made in L.A. Cal.Another thing I've found is nobody can agree on what yr. Colt converted from blk. pwdr. to smokeless so pinning down when something was done back then by colt is really just a crapshoot.I think that knowing who the author of a given article is & he actually is an expert is the only way you'll know it's the truth.

·
Premium Member
21,831 Posts
Amen to Jim Martin's comments. I once owned an SAA in the 4X,XXX range that was shipped to England but it had the USA Colt address. It had the 5-1/2" bbl and was in 45 Boxer. The records at that time listed the 5-1/2" SAA's as 45 Boxer Short (short referring to the bbl length and not the ammo). I have never looked at a letter on a 7-1/2" SAA that got shipped to England at that time. I often wondered if they were listed as 45 Boxer Long.
My books definitely do not indicate any 4-3/4" bbl. guns were made at that time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are all the numbers from the revolver
Barrel: COLTS PT. F. A. MFG. C2 =. HARTFORD. CT. U.S.A
Frame: 41173 PAT SEPT 19 1871, July 2-72, jan 19-75
Cylinder: 1178
Near where firing pin hits: B
Trigger guard: 45 Cal
Front strap/ front of trigger guard same number: 100513

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looks like the frame might be 41178 rather than ****3, in which case mates it with the cylinder. Removing the ejector tube might yield some more numbers and would let one see if it too is an early part rather than a late replacement. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
According to my list of colt ser.#'s[Historical Arms & Art by Fred Rose],ser.#36xxx was made in 1876 & the same list states that the 44/40 wasn't introduced by colt until 1878...

It's readily apparent from the info in the article that they have a factory letter which in this case trumps anything else. How else would they have known about it going to Turkey, etc.?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The correct grips for a 100xxx range b.s and t.g. should be 2 piece eagles. A 41xxx range gun should have one piece walnuts and as said, a 7 1/2" barrel.

I once owned serial #37967 which was a .44-40 and I'm pretty sure it was the original barrel. It had the backward barrel address.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
It's readily apparent from the info in the article that they have a factory letter which in this case trumps anything else. How else would they have known about it going to Turkey, etc.?
I didn't see anything about it being shipped to Turkey,all that was said in these postings was where it was shipped from & to England.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I didn't see anything about it being shipped to Turkey,all that was said in these postings was where it was shipped from & to England.

...Nonetheless, the London Agency quickly shipped the revolvers to Turkey. We know that it was a quick turnaround in London, as there are no British proof marks on these revolvers. Once the revolvers arrived in Turkey a skilled armorer went about converting the revolvers to the rimfire cartridge...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Amen to Jim Martin's comments. I once owned an SAA in the 4X,XXX range that was shipped to England but it had the USA Colt address. It had the 5-1/2" bbl and was in 45 Boxer. The records at that time listed the 5-1/2" SAA's as 45 Boxer Short (short referring to the bbl length and not the ammo). I have never looked at a letter on a 7-1/2" SAA that got shipped to England at that time. I often wondered if they were listed as 45 Boxer Long.
My books definitely do not indicate any 4-3/4" bbl. guns were made at that time.
No the records do not list the barrel length on the 7.5" saa's shipped to england.i have several in 7.5" lettered and the barrel length is not listed in the legers.just a notation remarks, saying 7.5" was standard at that time frame.
tony

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.