Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally gave in to the dreaded "Rimfire Benchrest" disease.

The Mossberg 144 shared a birthday with me in 1949.

Learned a lot today.

1. Don't shoot late in the day due to wind.

2. Wind can REALLY affect accuracy with subsonic bullets.

3. The Mossy likes Wolf Match Target.

4. Making tight little groups is fun and quite the challenge.

The Old T-Bolt

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have an Anschutz 64 mpr with a 36x weaver I used to shoot a lot. Also an old 54 match with irons. I would staple a sheet of poster paper on my target stand and place small bore targets on the poster paper. At the bottom of the poster paper, I would smear some honey on it and down the legs of the stand. Soon, I would have ants and an occasional fly attracted to it. Even on the ants, there would be a small spatter around the bullet hole when hit. Easily seen thru the 36x scope. All of this was at 50 yards. Was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very nice shooting doc. I bought a mossy 144 many years ago in a pawn shop for almost nothing and made it my winter project gun. It too was a one hole shooter. I gave it to my son in law to teach the grandkids to shoot. Turned out to be the best $ 45 bucks I ever spent!. All the kids grew up to be avid shooters in spite of being raised in liberal infested Colorado. Yours looks terrific !!!. I have never seen an old Mossberg that wasn't a super shooter, and they are still dirt cheap when you run across them!.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
pistols are fun but it is always nice to amaze yourself with what you can do with a rifle. Nice groups and rifle sir. Looks like a very fun day!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While is seems logical that a subsonic .22 bullet would be affected more by the wind, actually the opposite is true. This is a pretty good article on .22 ammo.

Super Subsonics | Rifles | Guns & Ammo
Thanks, good read.

Subsonic affected less, but the wind still moves them around when I'm trying to get them all in one hole. :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you mention the 22 target rifle I thought the groups were with peep sights until I saw the rifle pic later. Those guns were designed for iron sights. Nice groups.
Thank you.
It does have peep sights, but they've been upgraded to a Mossberg S-331 rear and a Lyman front.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's official now.

This Old Mossy will shoot!

100yds today

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That's some accurate shooting. I have an old Mossy with the peep sights that I may have to dig out someday.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
doc540..... do you know when your rifle was made? I find myself looking for the older guns now. my newest colt revolver was made in 1977 my oldest is 1957. new guns don't do it for me anymore. nice rifle you have and it shoots good to.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
doc540..... do you know when your rifle was made? I find myself looking for the older guns now. my newest colt revolver was made in 1977 my oldest is 1957. new guns don't do it for me anymore. nice rifle you have and it shoots good to.
1949-1953

no serial number

1 - 13 of 13 Posts