Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an "old" HANDGUNS magazine from 1987 on ebay. Cover is great. Comparing this one to a new 2014 HANDGUNS is amazing. Here are a few observations:

-90 pages vs 64 pages
-Quality of paper is amazing
-Only ads on the inside covers and back cover vs 29 pages of ads in addition to inside covere and back cover
-Real gunwriters who seem to teach us something vs gunwriters who seem to be selling us a product.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I love the pic of that DS on there. i'll have to check ebay and see if i can pick up some of these magazines. I like reading older gun magazines that have info. on Colts that are no longer made. You can also pick up good reloading info and tips.
Now that i know one of the members here has articles (WILL TERRY), i will definitely keep my eyes open for this particular magazine.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Just bought an "old" HANDGUNS magazine from 1987 on ebay. Cover is great. Comparing this one to a new 2014 HANDGUNS is amazing. Here are a few observations:

-90 pages vs 64 pages
-Quality of paper is amazing
-Only ads on the inside covers and back cover vs 29 pages of ads in addition to inside covere and back cover
-Real gunwriters who seem to teach us something vs gunwriters who seem to be selling us a product.

Used to have several boxes of old gun magazines (1970s) that I would go back to and read again. You're right about the old gun writers vs the new gun writers. The magazines I get now usually sets on the kitchen table until wife throws them away.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Since we have a member here who used to write for these old magazines I would like to ask a question.

Were the writers pushed to write positively about certain guns to please the advertisers?

Seems to me that all the new gun rags are nothing more than advertisements written by the writers in between advertisements paid for by the advertisers.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the pic of that DS on there. i'll have to check ebay and see if i can pick up some of these magazines. I like reading older gun magazines that have info. on Colts that are no longer made. You can also pick up good reloading info and tips.
Now that i know one of the members here has articles (WILL TERRY), i will definitely keep my eyes open for this particular magazine.
Not my auction but here is a seller who has some. For info only, not trying to break any rules by posting.

handguns magazine petersen | eBay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.