Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\"Old model\" Trooper

Picked up another old model Trooper today,for $250 OTD. Very early 1958 gun,4"("standard 'til 61'),.38 Special with firing pin on the hammer(wide,target type). This gives me "Old Models" in all 3 calibers.

Gun probably 95% finish,and needed a good cleaning inside and out. Timing seems fine now(had a little "crud" on lower step of hand,so dealer thought it was a little out of time!!,but depending on how it shoots(whenever this deluge of rain that has been hitting us in the Northeast subsides),may need a slight hand stetching(peening) to get the really tight lock up I like.

Came with set of Herretts,but shop owner found a pretty good set of later model Colt targets he threw in for the $250,along with the Herretts. I have correct service stocks and a grip adapter for it. Assuming that an early 1958 gun,would have had the fully checkered target stocks???

BTW, he also had 2 Mk.III Troopers were priced at $335(4") and $365(6"),both blued,with "rubbers",in about the same condition as the one I got. Dealer "was nice to me" because it "was only a .38 Special,and wasn't selling and an older gun,that he knew I had the parts and know how to fix up!"(yeah,crud on the ratchet and lower hand takes a genius to fix!)

Bud

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: \"Old model\" Trooper

FWIW:

I have a Trooper (.38 Special) on lay-away. It was made in 1955-56 according to Proofhouse. It has fully checkered grips but they have no serial number on the inner part. Don't know if they're original, or if Colt put the serial number on the inside of trooper grips. The same dealer has a Detective Special from the same time period (55-56). These grips have the serial number on the inside and are fully checkered.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Nice find! I am amazed at some of the revolvers that languish in gun shops til someone knowlegable wanders in and adopts it. 38 special will still stop most of the critters wandering this earth with a well placed shot.

Bob

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I've never had any luck at pawn/gun shops. I stopped looking and that's probably a big mistake. On Saturdays I should probably make my rounds.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts

I think Colt pretty well stopped numbering grips with the post-war target models.

The only reason the older grips were numbered, was because they were individually fitted to the frame, and had to stay with that specific frame.

The target grips didn't require fitting, and Colt shortly stopped fitting all grips anyhow.

Although it is NOT a reliable indicator, revolvers with factory installed target grips "usually" also had the target hammer.

Only a Colt Historical Letter will tell for sure about your Trooper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts