Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mornin Boys,

I usually hang out across the street (S&W) as that is my area of expertise, if I have any at all. Thought I would jump over here and ask for opinions on worth of newly acquired Python .38 Special Target in 8 in. nickel? Have had many Colts in my 70 years of plodding around this old sphere but somewhere along the line decided I can't own all the guns in the world and kinda homed in on the "other revolver". I recently acquired this Python and assure you I didn't get hurt price wise. However, I would appreciate any idea as to relative worth in todays market? Will try to figure out how to post pics on photobucket but this gun is 99.8% new with no box or docs. Weapon has been fired. Hang out around the North of Houston and East of San Antone area, seen frequently at Collectors Firearms in Houston. Just an old timer that really enjoys playing with guns and related gear. Would appreciate any input you could provide on the .38 Target Python. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Bill

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Welcome, According to the blue book it is worth $2300-$2500. Currently, Colt prices are all over the map depending on who is selling it and who is buying it. Their information also cites that 251 were made in nickel.

The "other revolver" is appreciated here as well. There are some great photo threads I know you would enjoy.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Biginge. No Python expert here, but you will hear from the Python guys in just a few minutes. No apologies about "that other brand." Wifey carries a Lady Smith .38 Spec & she loves it! Enjoy the ride!

Ed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ratzo,

This is where I am somewhat confused. I see the listing for Python .38 Special in my Blue Book with the 251 mfg in nickel (and 50% add on for nickel) Wherein lies my confusion. If one goes back to "Python" listing in blue book and third paragraph down it says "There were also a few Python Mfg. in .256 Win. Mag (circa 1961, .38 Spl (Python Target)etc.----.The amount of premium on these cals. depends on how serious(and deep pocketed) the Python Collector is." End quote from blue book. Are these two different .38 Special, and Python .38 Special Target. Mine is marked the latter. Appreciate the input and help with this one. When we get this one sorted out I have a coupla others to enlist support of you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Bill

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
TRy it with hollow base wadcutters. Please let us know how it shoots. With 6 shots off sandbag rest, let us know if allthe bullets are in 1 hole or a ragged hole at 15,25 ,whatever yards. I am really curious as to just how accuarte these 38 special Pythons are. We rarely see target reports on how the pythons perform.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Bill,

It is referring to the same gun you have. There is only one .38 Target/Cal Python that comes in Blue and Nickel. I would guess a nice nickel without box and papers would sell in the low $2000's depending on condition and a NIB one should reach the high $2000's. Blue NIB would bring low $2000's.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess it boils down to is there a .38 Special Python? And a .38 Special Python Target as mine is labeled? Both of them are 8" Bbl.

regards

Bill

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
There were also a few Pythons mfg. in .256 Win. Mag. (circa 1961), .41 Mag., and .44 Spl. cals. While the .22 LR and the .22 WMR (.22 Mag.) were advertised in earlier factory catalogs, they were never mass-produced - only a few prototypes exist. At least one known example of a .22 cal. Python was found at an auction, but it had only a special factory barrel sleeve for photographic purposes, and was not a shootable gun. The amount of premium on these cals. depends on how serious (and deep-pocketed) the Python collector is.

The above is a cut and paste from the online blue book. It doesn't mention two different .38 specials or any .38, so maybe my information is incomplete. I only know of one .38 Special Target Python. The one you describe. There are many more around here that know volumes more than I about this. I am sure they will be along soon. As for "deep pockets" it seems anything Python requires them nowadays....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ratzo,

Appreciate all the info. That paragraph was the cause of my confusion as to "which gun do I have?" The text refers to the "Python Target .38 Special" and further into the Python listing it is referred to as "Python .38 Special" (No Target). Thusly I was unsure as to whether they were one and the same. Fjestad , like the rest of us, is only human. Look at the listed value of of a Lew Horten, S & W 24-3. I will buy all of those I could get my hands on for 375. Can't find one for under 800. Anyway guys, I appreciate all of your help and interest. Lord knows I can use the help. Nice forum WE have here. Thanks again. Ratzo my latest BB is 30th addition and mentions ".38 Spl. Target" in the quote you sent. Maybe they cut it out of the new one for this very reason. Thanks Man.

Regards

Bill

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see the pics. If you wish, you can post directly here. When you start a new post, click on the icon, third from the right. Your cursor will show it as "image". Click and follow the directions. Nice to have you here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pdbertb,

That is her twin in the flesh. Only she has a box and I don't. Mine is everybit as nice, in finish etc. as that one is, just no box. Guess I will put her up for sale soon. I assume we have a "for sale" section on this forum. Will look for it. Thanks again guys for all your interest and input.

Regards

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts