1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Thanks. I have a colt SAA that letters 1906 from the Copper Queen mine. It has been altered and refinished from a 4 3/4" 44 wcf to 7 1/2" .44 special. Rebuilt by old gun writer Tommy Bish and Al Capone of King Gunworks in Los Angeles. Wife and I visited Bisbee and part of the mine in march 2010 the day that Rancher Rob Krenz was murdered by Illegals.
https://thewesterner.blogspot.com/2010/03/cochise-county-rancher-murdered.html

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I have friend that has one that’s very well refinished, maybe Dave or Turnbull? lettered to the copper queen. He did list it or is going to on gb, if he hasn’t sold it would it be in bad taste to post the listing when/if he does if he still has it for those of you that are interested in them. For me I am not interested in it but would have zero issue passing along the listing if that’s okay, again if he still has it and hasn’t already listed it. Would that be welcome by members to do or
frowned upon?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
It's a neat town to this day. On the lettered guns, I would like one, since I live in the area, and have been into the Copper Queen mine several times over the years. But don't look for them really.
Tombstone is a Disney-esque version of what once was. Bisbee is still pretty cool with lots of old buildings up and down the canyons. Mining was big in Arizona, the state flag has a copper star on it to symbolize that. Not too far from Bisbee, my wife and I bushwacked to an old stamp mill town near Tombstone, called Charleston, last weekend. Nothing is left except old adobe foundations buried in the brush.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
It's a neat town to this day. On the lettered guns, I would like one, since I live in the area, and have been into the Copper Queen mine several times over the years. But don't look for them really.
Tombstone is a Disney-esque version of what once was. Bisbee is still pretty cool with lots of old buildings up and down the canyons. Mining was big in Arizona, the state flag has a copper star on it to symbolize that. Not too far from Bisbee, my wife and I bushwacked to an old stamp mill town near Tombstone, called Charleston, last weekend. Nothing is left except old adobe foundations buried in the brush.

I've got an old antique penny postcard w/a picture on the front of it taken of the old boothill cemetery in Tombstone the way it used to be,it was given to me by Ben Ridge about 58 or 59 yrs ago,Ben was the president of the chamber of commerce in Tombstone then & this came out of his personal collection & was probably 40 or 50 yrs old when he gave it to me.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I've got an old antique penny postcard w/a picture on the front of it taken of the old boothill cemetery in Tombstone the way it used to be,it was given to me by Ben Ridge about 58 or 59 yrs ago,Ben was the president of the chamber of commerce in Tombstone then & this came out of his personal collection & was probably 40 or 50 yrs old when he gave it to me.
I do still like going to Tombstone once in a while. We rode our mules into town once, and tied them up a Big Nosed Kates for a pizza and beer. I ride armed, with an old Colt. When you got to town you had to "check your gun" at the store next door, and they'd hang it on a peg, and give you a number tag. Very cool.

But I'm an artifact hunter, so we like to bushwack to the really dilapidated remnants of the West, like Charleston a few miles away. Of course, being that close to Tombstone, it's pretty picked over too. I met a guy a couple years ago that found the two halves of a 1849 Colt cap and ball at a Butterfield Stage stop near my house. But he found one half one time, then about 3 years later the other half! Pretty good shape too, for having sat out for 150 years. Rusted and white cracking wood of course, but you could easily read the serial numbers and such. I went there after I heard the story, and me and my wife found a .50-70 cartridge case.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
War story time. About Dec 29th or 30 th of 1964 I was traveling and stopped on the American side of the border of Mexicali, in Calexico? Left my rig and walked across. Another American stopped me for help. He was barefoot wearing rags and had a bloody bandage on his head. The guy could have been a double for William Holden. He said he was rolled and woke up in the Mexicali hoosegow. He said he knew the ropes, had I think about twenty dollars pinned in his shorts. The cops found that, fined him the same amount and turned him loose. He said he had nice boots and cloths and either who rolled him or the cops took them. He was wearing what looked like old dirty chef`s pants they let him have. Right before I met him I had a little trouble myself where a a couple guys tried to cheat and I think intended on rolling me too and may have called the cops on me so we recrossed the border together with a large group of tourists. I had a company truck and my own travel trailer so was able to outfit him with some of my old cloths.
Our next stop was Tombstone, my first time there. We seen the sights together than the next stop was El Paso in a Mexican bar on new years eve where I parted ways with him. This thread made me think of those days.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Yep, it can get rough in Mexico. The best tactic I learned after being in a lot of rough bars in the Navy worldwide - stay out of the bars! But I had a friend about 10 years ago that insisted we go down there a couple times, and always wanted to experience "the other side". I had to watch his back, he was usually a mark within 15 min of walking in a place. Had to drag him out of a few too, when it was getting deep.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Here is a photo postcard I picked up about 20 years ago. It is titled on the front bottom in white: "American sightseers near Madero's Camp". On the back, someone wrote in pencil that has become almost illegible over time reads: "Political leaders of Mexico February 1913 shot & killed (?????Diaz waged war on Zapata). I would love to know the whole purpose of the photo - why so many folks showed up to stare at other people across the river, unless it was right at that period of time Madero was assassinated?
There is a large smokestack off in the background so I wonder if it is from one of the Copper mines in that neck of the woods?
Kim

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts