·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
This image -

Fifty-year club - 1923 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The 'Fifty Year ( or more ) Club - 1923"

These guys were all Working for Colt in 1873, when the MOdel P came out.

Those who had been there longer, would have been there when the 'Open Top', Rim Fire and or Transitional Revolvers were being produced, and, with that, would have been there during the continued production of some of the Percussion Revolvers, which of course continued on for some years after the Model P was introduced.

Wow...

Takes my Breath away...

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Oyeboten, I thought the same thing to myself! Those men were true craftsmen. I like this picture. Edwin H. Williams worked 67 year at Colt. He is also pictured in the photo you liked.

Edwin H. Williams | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This really does add something to our appreciation...seeing these old images, and of course this particular image, since many of us have Colts which were made during the time these Fellows worked there.

I guess it is still remotely possible, to shake the Hand, of someone who shook the Hand, of someone who bought a Colt Cap & Ball Revolver 'new'.

It'd take some looking and luck to find them, but, I am sure, they are out there.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I would like to think that at least one of my old Colt revolvers from that time period was held by one of those men at the factory.
Could well be!

It'd be interesting to know what Jobs these individuals held when the Photograph was made, as well as, to know something of their History with Colt.

Some may have started out at 15, Sweeping Floors or helping in the Mail Room or pushing Ware Carts form Station-to-Station, and, moved up over time, through various positions to end up being a Chief Inspector, Master Machinist, Designer/Inventor, or any of many other possible positions of high esteem and responsibility and acumen.

That was often how things worked back then.

Quite a variety of Characters there, in that image, too!

The guy in the back row, middle...at a glance, I bet he had some Boxing skills!

First instant, I zeroed in on him, and I thought to myself "That guy might be 75 or 80 years old, but I bet he could throw a lightening Punch to put anyone's Lights Out like right-now!"

I am seldom wrong in these fleeting impressions, either.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Imagine, Mr. Edwin Williams here worked at Colt from 1857 to 1925, which is 67 years! The caption says he was a remarkable man. Born in 1844, he was 13 when he started.
How many people work in respected positions, at the same company, for more than half a century? How many companies even stay around more than 10 or 20?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctarchives/4110192824/

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are welcome everyone. I hope everyone enjoyed these pictures as much as i did. I really wanted to share them with all the members on the colt forum. I spend hours looking and studying them. These men took pride in their work. My 2 colt Police Positives are still working from 1908 and 1924 just like the day they left the factory.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Imagine, Mr. Edwin Williams here worked at Colt from 1857 to 1925, which is 67 years! The caption says he was a remarkable man. Born in 1844, he was 13 when he started.
How many people work in respected positions, at the same company, for more than half a century? How many companies even stay around more than 10 or 20?

Wow...

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
......... and to think they created those masterpieces with that machinery. We have far more advanced machinery today and some companies still make the best junk in the world. Colt and some of the other more well known American gun makers certainly were the best at what they did. Some European countries as well.

Bud
ps
It just boggles my mind to know that this gentleman worked for Colt right through the Civil War. Unbelievable!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks for historical Colt factory photographs! While I admire the men and machines that produced the old Colts, I want to compliment the people at the Custom Shop for the excellent Third Generation Peacemakers they are currently producing with computerized equipment.
By the way, I am glad those Shanghai photos are simply historical!

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hi Shooter;

Can you imagine, this gentleman worked for Colt throughout the Civil War which makes me wonder just how worrisome and perhaps even dangerous that could have been for him with the war going on around him. I'm sure the Confederates would have loved to get inside that building or buildings so they could wreak havoc on the factory and hopefully turn the war around.

It's certainly an interesting subject anyway, don't you think?

Bud

Hello everyone. I found some really cool pictures of the Old Colt Factory and employees. Copy and past these links to your address bar. Enjoy the pictures!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Matchlock, I believe the same thing. He was in Colt's original factory before it burned during the war and then spent the rest of his career at Colt's current factory that was built after the fire and still stands today. It's great that we still have pictures to look at the past.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.