Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 4" Police Positive 38 Special today and would appreciate some info on it. It is sn 252XXX, has the original black plastic grips (sn is scratched into them on the inside), and the last patent date on the barrel in July 4, 1905. There is an underlined u stamped under the sn.

The gun is blue with a blued trigger and the hammer is bright steel on the sides and blue around the perimeter. The gun looks all original to me with no buggered screws and a tight action.

These is a faint cylinder line and a few small spots of light surgface rust but that's about it for wear EXCEPT someone put a nice nick/gouge on each side of the barrel about 1/4" - 1/2" from the business end (it looks like some idiot used the barrel to pry something). The nicks are cosmetic only (about 1/16" on one side and 1/8" on the other).

Would someone be so kind as to let me know what year this gun was produced. Also, does it sound original? Any issues with firing modern 38 Special (NOT +P) ammo from it?

Thanks.

------------------
If the horse don't pull you got to carry the load

·
Registered
383 Posts
Looks like your Colt PPS Was manufactured in 1922. If it locks up tight and has a decent bore then It is alright to shoot. Just use standard Blazer or WalMart Remington fodder in ti. I am very fond of the older PPS models myself and shoot all of mine (21) at least once a year. Nice handguns......Henri.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Henri,
She locks up like new and the bore is perfect, this gun prabably has never been shot very much. I will try ity out with standard 158gr loads.

Regards,
Clang

------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Police Positive Special, 5", that was made in 1937. Like yours mine has minimal signs of wear, but is otherwise excellent. These old Colts were unbelievably well-made, in my opinion. The triggers, the etching on the cyliner release, the hammer spur, and trigger are so nice. The real beauty of them is that they are fairly common, so I consider mine a shooter, not a collector. It is the gun I take out of the safe when I want to introduce someone new to firing a centerfire revolver. It is SOOOO sweet to shoot with standard .38's. Enjoy that gun--it is a reminder of what American workmanship used to be!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too have just acquired an old Police Positive with the last patent date of July 4, 1905. However, mine appears to be chambered for the .38 S&W. The grips are cracked, so I would like to replace with at least repros to keep the original appearance. These are the black checkered type with COLT in an oval at the top in a circle with some scrolling around it and at the screw and bottom (size is about 3" long and 1.5" wide at bottom). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the info all,

I'm just back from vacation and will post a pic later this week.

------------------

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mark, Vintage gun grips are up & running again , 407-331-1324. Colt restorations are my thing, and they have all Colt reproduction grips , revolver or auto.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts