Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I could use some help. I have the opportunity to buy an old Colt Python, .357 chamber, 6" barrel, nickel finish from a client of mine. Neither of us really know what it's worth, but we've both got a loose idea. It has turn marks on the cylinder but otherwise looks pristine. It comes with the box, which is old. Based on the other guns in his father's collection it sat in the box for who knows how long. The predicament is that the serial number doesn't seem to match up to the charts online or Colt's lookup feature. S/N is K42***. The model is I3661. I imagine someone here can help??

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Oh,...and what it's worth ?

Don't pay such a small amount you lose a friend;...nor,... get caught up in a "Colt fever", and have to pay so much HE loses one. :D

Of all the things we might wrangle from friends ; the ones proven to be the most troublesome are: their best hunting dog, their nice old pickup truck, their well kept gun, their weekend girl-friend, and,...revealing their favorite "fishin hole" location to a bunch of other folks.

NOT necessarily in that order; and be aware, a WEEKEND girlfriend is considerably more highly thought of than the regular "weekday" kind. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome and this is very helpful. How did you know this on the K ranges? I couldn't find anything about it online.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Congrats on a nice nickel python ...
I3661
Python
Revolver
357 Magnum
6"
Nickel

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Hi Is it satin nickel or colt guard or e-nickel on label. That would make a
slifht difference in value to most serious python collectors as they are a bit less common from
my understanding.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Welcome. It's hard to get a decent value without good photos. Normally excellent condition 6" Nickel finish with original box will be in the $2500/3000 range. JMO D*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I purchased the Python for $2,500. Seems like a good price all considered. I'd guess it has been fired a bit, but I don't see any obvious signs of a lot of use.

He's now turned up another Python. A 1980, 8" barrel, blued. He's indicating it's in perfect condition. I know he'll be selling it, and I'm not a buyer for it as I would almost certainly wind up divorced or dead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting how he suddenly came across another Python!

I think the $2500 is a little high for REAL value but the market is weird right now. Lots are selling in that range. Depends on condition, as stated.

What is he selling the 8 inch Python for?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts