Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this old German I think shotgun my dad bought at a show yrs ago to hang on the wall. It is a really well made gun with Damascus Barrels, Engraving, Exposed Hammers and some very nicely made furniture including a stock that has a cheek weld like you would see on a sporterized gun.

It reads ( "H" or "R" Flesischer Fenig ) on the barrel rib. I see no other markings or serial # on it anywhere but I do not know how to break it down so the number must be hidden inside someplace. I think its a 12 or 16 gauge.

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this maker? the gun is truly beautiful and looks to have been something that would have had a high price tag on it when made.

I can't find anything on the web about it, just want to know something, anything.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Post some images!

Do you know how to take it down? Remove the Fore Stock and so on, so as to find the Proof Marks?

Anyway, general and a few close up images, would really help interested Members to figure out what it is and so on.

Sometimes a Name is a retailer or importer or as may be, and not per-se a 'Maker'.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
Normally there is a latch in the bottom of the forearm which can be pulled down to remove the forearm. Then open the shotgun, rotate the barrels about 90 degrees and they should lift off. All the markings should be on the flat of the receiver and bottom of barrel.

Shotgun and rifle manufacturing was a cottage industry in Germany and Austria up until WWII. There were many small manufacturers that there is no record of today.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics

The best thing I have to take pics is a crap cell phone. I would really love to know how some of you get the amazing photos you do. I have a general knowledge of how to break down a Dbl barrel. This one has a long lever under it that swings to one side to open it. But the fore end its self has a piece much like a cap and ball revolver that has to be tapped out to remove the fore end. I will get some pics up in a few days.

I did find a listing for a R. Fleischer 16 gauge side by side on White's gun shop of Michigan's site. But no pics, just a brief description of what it was... I'm going to call and pick their brains on it, maybe get some pics of it if they are willing to send me some.

Thanks guys, I'll get some pics up by Sunday night if I can.

Jeff

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Post several images first, before de-Mounting the Barrels from the Stock, then, we can all see/discuss how it 'Breaks Down' - there were various ways ( none of them 'tap' out a Wedge that I recall, but some have little inlet Wedges which "pull" out...so, let's all have-a-peek first, just to be sure! Then we can look for the Proof Marks, to see if it is German, or Belgian via German Retail/re-Sale or whatever ).

I know my old Double Barrel, one would think it is English, but, it is Belgian...it has the little inset 'wedge-things' which pull out, to de-Mount the Barrels from the ( one piece ) Stock.

So, a lot depends on era, and or where-made, as for how it will come apart and so on for Cleaning, inspecting, etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does have a lever of that nature, But my gun is much prettier than that one. It seems as if that one does not have a fore end of any kind compared to mine. The wedge I mention probably only holds the wooden fore end to the barrels.

Sorry about the guessing game. I have some pics on my phone now and will upload them tonight.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
What a beautiful old Shotgun!

May very well be German.

Little Wedge-Baby ought to pull out for the Forearm to dismount. But, unless you are really wanting to see the Proof Marks, probably best to just leave it be and not dis-mount it.

In fact the Wedge looks like it is partially pulled out, and, you should push it back in so it is flush.

Typically, the Wedge will pull out only most of the way out, to allow dis-Mount of Barrels from Stock, or, of forearm from Barrels, so, the Wedge would not come all the way out free, but, would only pull out just 'so far' to free it from the internal slot of the under-Barrel.

I did not know if this was going to be a one-Piece Stock, or, if the Forearm was a separate piece.

Is the Trigger Guard made of 'Horn'?

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
I think they made some Darne double barrel shotguns with one piece stocks because the breech assembly slides back on a Darne for loading and unloading and the barrels remain fixed, but on the typical break open double barrel shotgun a one piece stock isn't practical since the barrels must hinge. The underlever wasn't a popular design because of the lack of a forearm, but on the OP's shotgun a forearm was incorporated into the design, making it more comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics, but it appears not to be a hooked breech. If that's the case, you would have to remove the upper tang screws and the barrel key, cock both hammers, and remove barrels and tang in one unit. If the barrel key is captured, it won't come conmpletely out, but enough to release the barrel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys for all the kind words. It is horn from what I can tell. The wedge is in tight enough from the looks of it, I might give it a tug one day just to see what happens but breaking this one down is not really on my list of things to do. I was just looking for some info on it. Dad had the Colt bug in him and just bought this because it was pretty. He left me a 3 digit 1878 colt shotgun. I have 2 I bought on my own and an 1883 hammerless as well. I just think they are nicely made and will be good investments down the road if I ever choose to sell em. I wish there was a BP shotgun section too. I would post pics of all 5 if there were.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I will start a 'Let's see your Black Powder Shot Guns!' Thread in the "Photos Area'.

So many of the old Shotguns were just so beautifully made, and even the more humble or un-adorned ones have a very nice way about them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.