Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you consider us as the next generation or just a pain in the A$$?

I must say that I learn so much from you guys. Maybe someday I can be a JC or a DFW or a LW or a Majic (I hope I didn't leave anybody out). Your my inspiration and responsible for keeping me up till 3:00am researching guns. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
I started out as a pain the butt, why shouldn't you? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Being a pain in the butt is how you get knowledge. If you don't ask, (and pester until you get answers) how are you going to learn anything?.

On the other side, the old timers also learn things they didn't know.

Good deal all around.

In my experience, the old timers who won't give answers, are really old farts, who don't know much of value anyway.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[ QUOTE ]
I started out as a pain the butt,

[/ QUOTE ]

How long ago was that? Pre-internet, post-internet or back when you were bugging grandpa for answers?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I old timers are the core of the forum. Without them, it would be just another THR or FL forum. I wonder what you consider an "oldtimer"?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder what you consider an "oldtimer"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I resemble that remark. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
806 Posts
I always feel , if I can pass on "one bit" of information and save someone a few bucks, then I did my job.
I set up at most all of the gun shows, and my wife calls me both the 'answer lady' or the 'information booth'. If I cannot answer it, I will put you in touch with some one who "can".
No, we cannot remember it all, thats why there are 'books' and ones 'library' can NEVER big big enough to have all this reference information. Years ago , I would buy a book at every gun show, or if I came across a gun I didn't "know", like a 'Springfield' trapdoor, I went out and bought the book.
If the 'newbies' or any of you young people don't ask the questions, we cannot help you and that's when it can get 'lonely'(quiet).
If I see, someone else has answered your question and it's a GOOD answer, I will let it be, not have to 'add' as they accomplished what you sought out.
What I don't like , is when people will just say "anything", completely irrelevent or off the subject and to me that's the waste. I'm not talking about 'banter' or kidding around, as many of the people out here know each other and will have a bit of fun now and then, or remind one of maybe a different situation, not meaning to say the 'other' is "wrong". Then there are the times you will see we can "think one thing, and type out something completely the opposite". I wonder many times if some people even bother to "read" what the question is, word for word?

Got to have 'new' blood, keep the hobby going and have someone to sell our "stuff" to! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
"How long ago was that? Pre-internet, post-internet or back when you were bugging grandpa for answers"?

I still remember Noah waving me aboard as First Mate.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hey, who you calling old? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
We are all still learning and I can be just as worrisome about something today as I was on day one. If I can help shed some light on a subject then I have done my good deed for the day. I wish there had been a source of info like this when I first started. Maybe (just maybe because I'm a little on the hardheaded side) I wouldn't have made the mistake of passing on some of the guns I could have had. Although through all the trials and tribulations, tears and regrets it has been fun learning.
So don't worry about being a pain in the butt. There is no shame in not knowing. Only when you can no longer remember what you know so well does it get embarassing. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
To use a tired old quote "There's no such thing as a dumb question", but I have to agree with Dant about some of the answers.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The forum was pretty much deserted until the past few months, so "old timer" relative to forum membership, makes all of us fairly young. Feel free to ask anything you wish, and we'll try to answer before the medication kicks in.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think newbies are the life blood of all forums. Forums seem to run down periodically until some excited newbies come along. My personal favorite newbie is my new best friend, calvin (where's Hobbs?). Calvin is just bubbling with enthusiasm and love of Colts which is great! Hopefully, he'll gradually learn the difference between real knowledge and emotion. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know how Calvin feels. I'm up till 3:00am some nights because I can't get Colts and research out of my mind.

Newbies have questions and questions drive a forum. You have a good point.

Welcome aboard.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Re: Old timers, What do you think of involved newb

Reluctant as I am to make personal comments on the forum, I will caution about "labeling" and relating age to newbie / old timer status with regard to specific knowledge. Although I have been around guns all my life (which could be [almost] as long as dfariswheel's), it is only in the last couple of years that I have taken a more detailed interest, not to the point of fanaticism, but some modest accumulating and tinkering, most recently with regard to Colts. Fortunately, I have not killed all my brain cells yet and you may notice I often refer others to information I recall though it is not my personal lore. Guns don't keep me up till 3 o'clock although I have done that for many things including amateur radio, muscle cars, work, kids and audiophilia to name a few - could have just as well been guns. I welcome new energy and enthusiasm. There are certainly generational differences, but the common interest should make it work. Maybe there should be a new category - "old newbie" /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

[ QUOTE ]
"old newbie" /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I resemble that remark. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It's great to have a heartbeat again. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts

I've been on this forum for about one year now and it is my favorite. I don't post much unless I think I can contribute or have a good technical or historical question. I don't know the history of when this started and who was there to get it off the ground, but we have some very educated and decent people here who are always willing to share their knowledge and I will take this opportunity to thank them all.

This forum either has great moderators or the new members are just right in line with things. I like rehashing some of the topics that have been covered over and again. It gives me the opportunity to show what I have learned here.

This forum is very cool. Thanks to all and let's keep it that way.

·
Registered
115 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
My personal favorite newbie is my new best friend, calvin (where's Hobbs?). Calvin is just bubbling with enthusiasm and love of Colts which is great! Hopefully, he'll gradually learn the difference between real knowledge and emotion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,

I reckon if after 35 years of hunting and shooting, 25 years of reloading for a couple of dozen different calibers, and having owned and used a couple of hundred different firearms of all types I haven't learned the difference between real knowledge (like what you obviously possess) and emotion, I never will.

Perhaps once you've demonstrated your knowledge on this board, like many of the others have, I'll consider you to be in a position to make such judgements.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Manderson: You made a good point about re-hashing older topics here on the forum. Sometimes the re-hash gives just a bit more information that was not previously brought up due to new knowledge, or a new member who has his own individual experiences and interests. I guess we could always just say... refer to page xx of a certain book or whatever which does not make for very informative reading or information as not everyone has all of these books (including me). Sometimes there is new information.

With regard to newbies of which I am still in my infantile stage (under one year), I welcome everyone to the forum who has an interest in Colts. For myself, I go back over old postings when I have a question or a new curiosity comes up. For example, I don't know much about the New Service line and I want to learn more. Oh my G..., and these weren't made in 22LR. What is the world coming to?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

.22 rimfire; If you "wanna" learn about the New Service,the best $7.50 you will ever spend is to buy Bob Murphy's paperback,about 70 pages, "Colt New Service Revolvers". Has great info and photos.

I think I.D.S.A. Books in Piqua,Ohio still have them. www.idsabooks.com

Bud

1 - 18 of 18 Posts