Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me about their Old Tucson Saddlery holster. It came from Old Tucson, A.T. I believe it came from the Old Tucson Studio/Tourist park. I called the park today and the young lady on the phone didn't know anything about a leather shop or saddlery, so I assume the shop closed some time since it became a tourist attraction.
A web search doesn't turn up anything concrete.
Do any of you know about the Old Tucson Saddlery?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Someone asked me about their Old Tucson Saddlery holster. It came from Old Tucson, A.T. I believe it came from the Old Tucson Studio/Tourist park. I called the park today and the young lady on the phone didn't know anything about a leather shop or saddlery, so I assume the shop closed some time since it became a tourist attraction.
A web search doesn't turn up anything concrete.
Do any of you know about the Old Tucson Saddlery?
Thanks.
Old Tucson opened to the public as a tourist attraction in 1960,I was there for the grand opening competing in the 1st Western States Fast Draw Championship,there were no shops available before that because it was used only for making movies,it was originally built for the 1939 movie "Arizona" starring Jean Arthur & William Holden.I still have some 8 mm film of some of the competition,I don't know if it's still playable,it's been stored away for a long time,one of the shooters actually entered w/a Buntline,needless to say he lost in the 1st round.They were going to have a side match of fancy gun handling & there's a short clip of me warming up for it standing on a wood platform & another old friend of mine Mack McKenzie walks in & starts warming up for it w/me,but for some reason they cancelled the competition,I think for lack of time to stage it.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Jim,
Its always interesting to read your stories! Thanks for sharing.
Have you given thought about having your film converted to digital format?
Vic

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
That's some important history Jim. You were there during the first wave of Americans that came to Arizona Post-war for the climate, and for the old west feel. Other waves came afterwards like the technology era in Phoenix, and the California "backwash" most recently as they abandon their state. But back in 1960, it would have feel good to me to be here. Today...not as much. My daughter worked around the corner for Old Tucson, at the Desert Museum.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
When he managed to make it and deliver it, 'Big Ed' made some nice leather - but that wasn't always the case.

I have one for a 7 1/2" SAA from 'San Pedro Saddlery' that was carved like the front dustjacket of 'Packing Iron', by Rattenbury.

Saw it in a shop in Hill City, South Dakota and bought it - 'then', I bought the SAA that fills it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts