Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning up and reorganizing the safe this morning before work and decided to lay out all of my old winchesters. Most of these have been inherited but a few purchased and one was left to me in the will of an older gentleman I have fond memories of.

Anyway, thought it was cool having em all laid out so I decided to share.

1886 Turnbull 475
71 348
71 348
1886 45-70
1886 33
1873 44-40
1873 38-40
64 30-30
1894 38-55
1892 32-20

Most of them have spent their life as the tools they were built to be. The old 1886s and 71s have all hunted Alaska or Montana pretty heavily except for the Turnbull obviously. The 1873s and 92s are pretty worn from use. The 1894 and the 64 are both in great shape, especially the 1894 which was made in 1896. Anyway, just thought I would share.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Very, very nice collection of working guns! My favorite type. I've got a thing for quality guns that have working history and some of yours being from Alaska hunts at one time.. I always keep an eye out for picking those up where I can and getting them back up here. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a collector of Winchester LA center fires, too. I have a full set except a Model 65. Someday though!
I had a line on a 65 in 218 bee. However, in the end I just couldn't justify that cost for the condition. This one was much cheaper than I typically see them, but even in its condition they wanted 2k for it.

I love my 71s and 64 though.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Nothing fits a safe better than a lever gun. When a safe dealer tells you that the model you’re looking at will hold 50 long guns they usually fail to mention that they’re talking lever actions. Nice collection you have there.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I'm gonna say it. It's a crying ass shame the younger generation doesn't appreciate these magnificent and historical examples of B. Henry, O. Winchester and J.M. Browning design and American craftsmanship.
I am part of that younger generation but it's a similar story with my 4 Parker shotguns.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Okay, I'm gonna say it. It's a crying ass shame the younger generation doesn't appreciate these magnificent and historical examples of B. Henry, O. Winchester and J.M. Browning design and American craftsmanship.
Maybe if they were made by Glock and could be shot sideways the younger generation might appreciate them. Add a vertical fore grip with laser and flashlights attachments and the tacticool crowd would love them.

·
Registered
761 Posts
There are exceptions. My youngest started collecting Winchester 1873 and 1892s in .38 W.C.F. with special order features at the ripe old age of 11. At 28 she has a very nice collection put together, and growing. Take care, Duane

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I second that emotion! These kids walk around with their head up the xxxxx, gawking at some stupid little electronic device, many components of which were designed in the 1970's. But many were top secret then. I worked for one of THOSE companies, and love telling the most self-absorbed kids just that -- To watch their heads spin!!!.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts