Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. This is my first post here, but hopefully someone can help me.

I have just acquired a colt revolver in 38 WCF ( 38-40).

The Manufacture date website says it was made in 1906 or so.

The problem is it has two serial numbers on it.

Right in front of the trigger guard is 159xxx and that also appears on the bottom of the butt.

Then on the frame, just above where the front of trigger guard attaches is 205xxx .

This gun is nickel plated and might have been done so at a later date. Barrel is 4&5/8".

On the left side of the frame, It is stamped Pat. Sept.19 1871 then right under that July 2,72. Jan 19.75

Is this a Light Pistol, Single Action Army or?

One of my older firearm books states that serial numbers under 160000 should only use black powder, Since the frame number is above that, can I use smokeless powder in it and mild loads.

Very little wear, bore is good, but dark.

Any and all information would be welcome

I have Marlin 1894 made in 1902 that I have as a matching rifle that I have had the barrel relined and load 16 gr of 2400 with a 180 gr cast bullet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
remove the grip panels an look on the left side of the grip frame.their should be a serial number stamped their.also examine the back of the grips for a partial serial number.it sounds like your SAA has had parts from another saa ..

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
if the guns serial number is below 200,000 it should be fired with black powder to be safe. there's nothing wrong with shooting black powder just keep it cleaned.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
remove the grip panels an look on the left side of the grip frame.their should be a serial number stamped their.also examine the back of the grips for a partial serial number.it sounds like your SAA has had parts from another saa ..
No serial number on the grip frame except the one I noted on the bottom. If you look at the photo above, there is a screw on the bottom of the grip frame. That number matches the one on the front of the trigger guard.

I have no problems with using BP ,but I would like to use the same rounds as I use in b my rifle.

Would the load be as original , 30 grains by volume of FFFG BP?, 180 gr cast bullet.

I slugged the bore and it measures .4056. My biggest bullet is .403. So it might not shoot well an yhow.

The main frame is serial # is 205xxx.

I assume the weak part would be he cylinder, which has no serial number on it. Therefore it could be before or after s/n 200,000. Would you agree with that?

·
Registered
746 Posts
No serial number on the grip frame except the one I noted on the bottom. If you look at the photo above, there is a screw on the bottom of the grip frame. That number matches the one on the front of the trigger guard.

I have no problems with using BP ,but I would like to use the same rounds as I use in b my rifle.

Would the load be as original , 30 grains by volume of FFFG BP?, 180 gr cast bullet.

I slugged the bore and it measures .4056. My biggest bullet is .403. So it might not shoot well an yhow.

The main frame is serial # is 205xxx.

I assume the weak part would be he cylinder, which has no serial number on it. Therefore it could be before or after s/n 200,000. Would you agree with that?
Original load is 40 grains in old-style balloon-head cases, about 35 gr. in modern solid-head case. Good rule-of-thumb is just enough to lightly compress under the bullet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
While you pistol is a original Colt SAA, it seems to have parts replaced from other Colt SAA's. In other words, a parts gun.

While it may be a parts gun, it can be a good shooter, and a nice firearm to own.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts