Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the help of several of you, I bought a 2nd issue Detective Special. Weather finally warmed a bit, so I shot the gun this afternoon.

I shot 2" groups at 10 paces. This compares with 1" groups from my 4" Smith model 10. Both shot single action with wrists on a rest, and target at 10 paces. Load was Win231 2.8 grains, OAL=1.160", WSP primer, Hornady bulk pack 148 grain HBWC bullets.

This was the first time I'd shot the gun, and I've owned the Smith for a couple of years. So I'm very happy with the results.

I'll be doing a lot more practicing with my new snub (first for me). The sights are the best I've seen on the few snubnose guns I've handled. The Smith model 10 I have has a bit better sight picture. But compared with the ramp front sights of the newer Det. Specials (3rd, 4th issue), I prefer my style of sights.

Another thing I'll be doing is learning to accurately hold and fire this gun in double action. After all, that is what these guns are made for. And this particular Colt has a fine double action trigger. I like the "stacking" warning I get and then that that little click just before firing. I aim to get used to that.

Anyway, if any of you are on the fence about a 2nd issue Colt Detective Special, jump right in, the water's fine . . . of course, you should familiarize yourselves with the fine advice on how to check out a gun, especially the one on timing checks by dfariswheel (many thanks!). Here is the link to it:

http://www.unitedforums.com/forums/gunforums/cf/Forum7/HTML/000657.html

So, thanks again. You folks really made it fun for me in the choosing, and in the using.

Here is a photo of my 1966 Detective Special with my Smith model 10-5.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 4th, which according to the info here is actually a 3rd.

I had it out on the range yesterday along with a SW442 and a SW36 and a friend. After getting tired of shooting steel reactive targets, I decided to impress my friend with what my DS can do. With 148gr HBWC powered by 3.2gr W231 and WSP the Dick Spl put 5 of 6 on a 12" gong @ 50 yards double action. My Smiths couldn't do it so it wasn't me. My friend tried it and got 3 of 6 and like me, couldn't duplicate with the Smiths.

Why is there a hole in the hammer of your DS?

------------------
Ask the Chief!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts