Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy an older, Colt Police Positive, NIB, with a round barrel, and an exposed ejector rod, in .38 caliber(I'm assuming .38 Special)? And, I forgot to read the information of the gun on the barrel(To determine if this is just .38 or .38 Special?)and with a four-inch barrel. I have the following questions:

1)How good of a Colt revolver was the Police Positive?

2)Did they make the .38 Special caliber, in the round barrel, with the exposed ejector rod(Give approximate time frame?)?

3)Is this still a good revolver to collect, with much collector interest(In NIB, condition("Unfired"!)? Is it "Popular" or "Unpopular"?

4)What is the current estimated value of this gun(As described)?

5)Please add any other type of information(Good or bad?)about this Police Positive(It could very well be a "P.P. Special-I'm just not sure?)or, anything else of interest?

6)Is this a "Worthwhile" Colt revolver to own?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
1) The PP is a very good revolver. All the Dick Specials, Cobras, PPS, and Agents are variants of it.
2) The PP is chambered in .38SW, not special. The .38sp was chambered in the PPS.
3)While it is somewhat popular, the PPS has a bigger popularity because of the .38sp chambering. They are good shooters, but not highly collectable.
4)I would say around $300 in mint condition w/ everything.
5)If it says .38 caliber it is a PP in .38 New Police which is the same as .38SW.
6)They are dandy little revolvers that after a couple of shots you would probably be happy to have one.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes! The Gun Shop wants $450 for this(I now believe?)to be a Police Positive Special! However, this is in Kalifornia(The PRK)!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 12-14-2004).]

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd offer less, but an older P.P. Special NIB in the box with papers would be worth $450, at least to me. I always look at it like: how many of these can there be? Do I really want it? Is the price somewhere within reason? Personally speaking, it's 1)not many, 2)yes ,and 3)yes. But, that's just me.

·
Registered
794 Posts
With tax and Dros, that makes is it over a $500 gun. PPS is pretty common for that kind of expense. Maybe not in that condition but still a common gun just the same.

In that condition I'd buy all I could get at $300. So my opinion is that price is way low.

If the box means anything to you you can justify the $450 price tag as a $400 gun and a $50 box.

$400 OTD would be a decent deal for both you and the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colt38:
I have a chance to buy an older, Colt Police Positive, NIB, with a round barrel, and an exposed ejector rod, in .38 caliber(I'm assuming .38 Special)? And, I forgot to read the information of the gun on the barrel(To determine if this is just .38 or .38 Special?)and with a four-inch barrel. I have the following questions:

1)How good of a Colt revolver was the Police Positive?

2)Did they make the .38 Special caliber, in the round barrel, with the exposed ejector rod(Give approximate time frame?)?

3)Is this still a good revolver to collect, with much collector interest(In NIB, condition("Unfired"!)? Is it "Popular" or "Unpopular"?

4)What is the current estimated value of this gun(As described)?

5)Please add any other type of information(Good or bad?)about this Police Positive(It could very well be a "P.P. Special-I'm just not sure?)or, anything else of interest?

6)Is this a "Worthwhile" Colt revolver to own?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought a PPS at the last Tulsa GunShow for $195.00 probably 85%, small light rust spot on the frame & a liitle on the cylinder. A great shooting little revolver. MGW

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey!! Welcome to the Forum !! Colt Police Positives and Police Positive Specials are very collectable. I am a collector of these and other Colt handguns in the "D" frame category up to WWII. These are the smallest quality handguns that Colt made. Concealable and accurate with all the power that is neccessary for self protection. These Positives have a history of being purchased and used by home owners, lawmen, and many other folks that were not law abiders. My advice, if you like it and it turns your propeller buy it. If it has the original box (numbered to the gun) and papers, etc., so much the better......Henri

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Henri: Well, I have a Colt "Viper" which I assumed might be worth alot more than the older PPS(With the exposed ejector rod)but, I would only want to buy this PPS, if it is "Recognized" well enough(By Colt Collector's!)to justify, paying this seemingly steep price(For a PPS?)of $450?

Thanks for your input! I hope to get a follow-up response from you, regarding the above? Or from anyone else, as well?

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 12-23-2004).]

·
Registered
383 Posts
It would have to be pristine and in the original numbered box to draw $450. Shop around a look for a Police Positive Special (38 Special) easier to find ammo., and better resale value....Henri

·
Registered
383 Posts
As I mentioned before, any Police Positive Special (38 special) Would have to be in Excellent shape and with original box to fetch over $300............Henri

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I agree with Henri on the price. Saw a very nice Police Positive in ,38 S&W(.38 Colt N.P.), 4" bbl. from ca. 1930s,all original and marked for a bank(Looks like it was a "vault gun" and showed no carry wear) today for $250-no box etc. Didn't buy it as I am not really into "D Frames"-and -mostly because I picked up a nice 32/20 O.Police from same dealer(see my separate post on this if interested). Bud

1 - 12 of 12 Posts