Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two pix added at the end at 9:25 16SEP06

Knowing that I already owned OM s/n 247591, our good friend Bob Best emailed me to advise me of the whereabouts of OM 247592. A largish sum of money later I found myself in possession of a consecutively numbered pair of these rather fine .38 Colt revolvers, the kind I like - leftwheelers. I purchased 247591 about a year ago with second issue grips which I replaced with period stags, and I post below pictures of this gun with both sets of grips.

You will see from the photos that 247591 is a condition gun, whereas 247591 has definitely seen the elephant. But they make for an interesting couple.

Many thanks to you, Bob.

247591 with 2nd issue grips:

and with stags:

247592 - Note the worn (but correct) grips

The pair together again:

Muzzle ends 247591 on top, 247592 underneath:

Serial numbers:

Finally, my small collection of first issue Officers Models.

I forgot to add the two following pictures which show the detail of the frame and cylinder. An interesting small point is that the assembly numbers are not consecutive, but are one digit removed. Also the "standing" portion of the cylinder release on 247591 is square, whilst that on 247592 has a distinct taper on its top edge:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Beautiful collection of OM First Issues. Your display rack is very nice, did you make it or are they generally available?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, tommix ~ thanks for the compliment on the collection of OMs. As to the rack, I bought this (and about five others) from a gentleman called Dennis Bucher who sells them on Gunbroker.com.

He makes them horizontal like the one shown, and vertical (which I mostly have as they fit better in my gunsafe). These racks are very well made and cost about fifty bucks + s&h. They each hold eight pistols. Here's the link:-
Bucher's racks

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Very, very nice and I, too, have to add that the rack presentation makes it even more impressive. Speaking of stables. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
576 Posts
Congratulations on putting that set together. That's really wonderful! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Zulu6,

Just got back from my "out of state" mini vacation... Glad you were able to connect on this! The guns look Great! I remember the fun of getting my first consecutive set and I know you are going to enjoy having this pair too.... Great photos and I also looked over the Colt M-1889 Photo thread... Thanks for sending me the info on your guns for my database... In this case it definitely paid dividends!

P.S. - You mentioned that the assembly numbers were not consecutive on the guns. I would not expect them to be... The assembly numbers were not placed on the guns at the same time as the serial numbers... I have two DA Army models that are 0ne number off of being consecutive xxx520 and xxx522 ... but both guns assembly numbers are 12 numbers apart. Also had a pair of 1880s single actions that were again one number off from being consecutive but had consecutive assembly numbers... Also have a third pair of Navy contract guns that are again one number off from being consecutive but have assembly numbers that are 105 numbers apart! Their navy registration numbers are 12 digits apart! Assembly numbers were put on the guns at the time the parts were fitted ...

Take care,
Bob

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for clearing up the assembly number business, Bob; your help is always much appreciated.

I have another couple of acquisitions you might be interested in, and will post pics shortly.

Best regards,

Richard

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Richard,
I'm heading out of town on our annual hunting trip and will be back next week... Looking forward to hearing about your "New Acquisitions"! Please drop me an email about them... I'll be into email range on Sunday... About that question you asked (and I missed) answering... All the 812 USMC contract M-1905 Colts will read the butt information with the barrel pointed downward... All of the civilian models too... Hope that helps! Have a Good Evening! Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts