Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I could use some help identifying the grips that are on a OM that I recently acquired. The serial # is 5784xx. I date the gun as 1932 but could possibly be wrong. The grips are interesting in that the checkering is of fairly high quality but the grips do not appear to be the same. There are some rough marks that indicate some inferior workmanship. If anyone has any ideas on the maker I would appreciate knowing. I do not intend to get rid of these grips as they fit my hand just fine. However, I am wondering how hard it will be to find a set of correct OM grips for this gun?
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
345 Posts
Those I bet are Roper grips,but could be the old Fitz.They are wood aren't they?I don't think I'd lose any sleep over finding a set of originals if you got these that are on the gun now,as the gun isn't that special.If it was a Shooting Master,yes I'd have a set to put on for show,or sale.I much perfer old time wood Roper grips any day of the week,,,BTW,,if anyone has a set similiar to those I'd be in the market.
Joe

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chevis,
They are wood. I don't think the quality is there for Ropers. I'm not sure about Fitz or Herret. I've been trying to find a picture of older target grips such as these on the net and come up with nothing.
Tom

·
Registered
345 Posts
The old original Fitz were wood...you might contact John Paul Jones and see what he says,,,if really wanting to know I can look up his e-mail addy.
Joe

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
that curved border on top of the right grip looks roperish but most ropers i have seen have a curved ribbon thru the checkering about midway thru.perhaps the judge will know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts