Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two OMM's One is 22lr that came with full checkered walnut Colt medalion grips. The other was 38 spl and had plastic grips that fit well except around the top. They both SN to 1953-54. They came from an older gentleman who is no longer with us to ask questions. The picture link is to the Plastic grips. What do they belong on and by any stretch of the imagination did they come on this gun originally. If not is there a source for the correct grips. I feel as though the full checkered walnuts are factory. Second question is in the designation Officers Model is that referring to a LE officer or military officer? Granted a silly question but one I don't know.
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/jjones33/ColtGrips.jpg

[This message has been edited by jjones33 (edited 04-17-2004).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
The plastic stocks are "Coltwood" and could have come from either the model right before the OMM called the Officers Model Special (1949-1952) or from an Official Police of that same time vintage as they are made with the same frame. You are correct that the full checkered stocks with silver medallions would be considered correct for the OMMs.

As to the Officers Model designation, just the Colt marketing department at work.

Scott

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,889 Posts
The general consensus on the "Officer's Model" designation is that it relates to Police officers.

A great many police departments issued the Colt Official Police revolver for many years, and the various Officer's Models were basically target versions of the Official Police.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Seems like I remember reading in a magazine article or somewhere that the Colt Officer's Models, etc., do refer to LE, as dfaris says. This was because the army never bought any Army Specials, which were the OP before it was named the OP! Make sense? "A rose by any other name ..."

·
Registered
132 Posts
The OM designation comes from the days when the fixed sight model was called the "Army Special," which would suggest that military officers were being referred to in the title.

Bill A

1 - 5 of 5 Posts