Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the barrel is there much difference between a Python and an Officers model match? I think they are made on the same frame (?) Are any of the parts interchangeable?

Thanks,

Dwight

------------------
"With five rounds load and make ready"

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,229 Posts
The primary difference is the Python has it's firing pin mounted on the frame, and the OMM has it's pin on the hammer.

The Python has a different profile on the top front of the frame to match up with the lugged and ribbed barrel, has a better blued finish, and a more refined and fitted action.

And of course, the Python is manufactured and heat treated to use .357 Magnum ammo, while the OMM is made for .38 Special.

Many parts are interchangeable.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 06-05-2005).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response!

I have a pair of OMM's one in .22 and one in .38 The .38 was popular with NRA type shooters in it's day, and I gather was considered a bit better than the K38 by some, but they were not as popular (price?) The OMM seem to have a very nice single action, but a fairly heavy double action NRA shooters did every thing single action, so it may not have mattered much. I will probably leave these guns alone and not have anyone mess with them as good Colt mechanics are thin on the ground. On another tack does the OMM have the 1 in 14 twist of the Python?

Thanks,

Dwight

------------------
"With five rounds load and make ready"

·
Registered
535 Posts
Welcome, K38! Although, your monicker tastes like a Capulet in the house of Montague! We must have talked with the same people and read the same books - I think you're right about the OMM and SA target shooting. I've always wanted to have a set of a 22 and 38 Colt - but haven't got 'em yet. To my experience, also, Brand X always outsells Colt and my feeling is pure price. You've met dfariswheel - he's our voice of authority, that's for sure. Don't know about the twist in the guns - but I'd LIKE to, too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts