Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my latest purchase, an Officer's Model Match, single-action only. It's serial number is 927xxx, which I hope is correct for the single-action only feature. It isn't in real great shape, bluing is about 60%, with the barrel having multiple nicks and the cylinder having several bad scratches around it, which don't line up with the cylinder bolt and I don't know what would cause them. The timing is off, but the trigger is still realy sweet. I am worried about the rear sight setting, it's just about all the way to the right - but I haven't had a chance to shoot the gun yet so I don't know if the sight is off or if the gun really shoots that far to the left with the sight centered. One thing that's fairly strange to me - the grips are plastic. I wouldn't think that Colt would use plastic grips, but these have Colt pony logo's cast into them and look like they are factory.
The gun only cost me a total of $215, so I'm very happy no matter how it turns out. Now I just need to save some money and find some proper wood grips and get the timing fixed. Reeves Jungkind is supposed to be the best gunsmith for Pythons, is he willing to do his magic on OMM's?

Here's the pic's from the auction site I bought it at :

[This message has been edited by CMcDermott (edited 09-03-2003).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Your OMM seems to be made around 1961. The single action only models were made in limited quantities and bring hefty prices. Colt did have the plastic stocks on the earlier OMS, but I thought the OMMs had walnut (i'm known to be wrong and somebody will most likely correct me). Sounds like you found a really nice revolver and hope you can have it restored.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
Only a Historical letter from Colt will determine whether your OMM came from the factory with a single action only trigger.

Not that many were factory, most were done by the owner's after market.

The grips on your gun are replacements, probably from an early 50's Official Police when Colt used the plastic "ColtWood" stocks.

It was and always has been popular to "switch n' swap" grips from one Colt to another.
Probably, somebody was selling the gun, and decided to steal the target grips.

The proper grips for your gun would be a pair of Colt Target grips. From the looks of your gun, the right grips would be either the second or third type target stocks.

Shooting the gun will determine whether there's a problem with the sights.
If the sight does need to be off to one side that much, there's a problem somewhere. Colt's leave the factory pretty well in register.

I'm not sure Jungkind is still working or not, but the last time I heard he was working ONLY on brand new, un-touched Pythons, no other models, and NO used guns.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the first thing to do is get a letter from Colt, I looked on the net and Colt sure wants to get a profit from their letters - $75 + charging extra depending on what they find?
The plastic grips are a little small all around, they don't fit well so I can easily believe that they are actually for another model. So the proper grips are the same as for a Python - with the checkering either ending below the medallian (third model), or just about even with it (second model)?
When I get the money together I'll give Mr. Jungkind a call, but if he won't work on it I guess it's off to Cylinder & Slide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts