Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys: Found an Officer's Model Target-2nd. issue. Serial #452XXX looks like about 1920 with a 4" barrel. Its in a little better than 95% condition. Whatever finish issues it has seem to be just about being over 80 years old.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 4" barrel version if the most rare. Is this so? They are asking more for it than we normally want to pay for a revolver. My main question is; what would one want to sell this for on GA? If we buy it, we will keep it, but that possible selling price will help us rationalize what the seller wants. As a kicker; the story goes that this was carried by a Marine Lt. Col. in WWII, and his holster goes with the gun.

Thanks a heap, Robba

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Robba-ANY OMT with a barrel length other than 6"(I will say that there seem to be many early 1908-1915 or so guns with the 7.5",as it was popular based upon the NST and flattop SAA lengths; I have a 1912 7.5" OM that is a "one hand rifle" out to 75 yards w/mild wdcutters.)

I have a 1933 4.5" OMT,with deep dished medallions. I would not sell either of these guns for under $750,although both are only in the 95% range,

The shorter bbls. are "rare",because "who bought them""??? The 4" did qualify for the USRA "Pocket Revolver" category,but many target associations prohibited ANY adjustable sight(s).

As a holster gun,the adjustable front sight was prone to catch on drawing and e-z to wack out of adjustment. I suspect the Marine officer may have tightened and "glued" his 2 front sight screws into ONE fixed position.

Despite what the "Blue Book" says.ONLY collectors of Officers Models are willing to pay the premium for the non 6" bbls. Other collectors,while they know(hopefully??)that these OMs are rare,just can't see paying the price.

BTW;my 4.5 is a great shooter,and is dialed in for 158gr. hard cast swcs over 7.5 Blue Dot for close to 1000 fps.

BTW,you will learn a new meaning to the word "patience" as you attempt to sight in an early OM with the TWO adj. sights!!

Good Luck,and hopefully the price will be lowered.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bud: That was the answer I needed. I may just let it alone. This is one of the gun shops we go to that uses the blue book religiously. They want over $850. for it plus tax, and state call in, which puts it over $900. We try our best to buy revolver models that are popular, and resalable most anytime. I really look at guns anymore as an investment. Very few investments will pay percentage wise what a carefully bought gun purchase will at resale. There are so many revolvers out there, you just have to research before you buy. Most of these older Colts are 95% just because they are so old. By the way, one of our other shops has an OMT in 7-1/2" for $475. I may just buy that. Thanks for your astute info. Robba

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I really look at guns anymore as an investment. Very few investments will pay percentage wise what a carefully bought gun purchase will at resale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my god. Robba has turned into a collector. I respect your comments from several days ago to shoot a NIB /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif To me, a shooter is anything but a NIB or a 99% boxed. If it's a 30 year old NIB, someday it'll be a 50 year old NIB.....then a 70 year old NIB. Can some of us tell if a NIB has been shot? You bet!!!

You'll never regret going with a older gun due to future value. When people ask used vs. new and the reply is new. I don't understand the concept. If your going to hang onto the gun for decades then I see the concept.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they were making new revolvers with the quality of pre 90's guns, I would probably be buying some new ones. But with all the hassle in the world, we as U.S. citizens still retain our right of choice. What I see being made today is revolvers with little lock holes that I am hearing sometimes screw up, and the gun does not function, along with less than perfect finishing, both inside, and out. I recently picked up a new revolver, and cocked the hammer. It sounded like a teaspoon of sand was in there. Living in Florida, we have a lot of stainless guns. But the older blued revolvers in all makes are to me possessions with both great beauty in appearance, and function. Oh!, Oh!, /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif there I go preaching again. Peace, and thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Is the Florida salty humid conditions cruel on blueing? Is the gun safe a "safe" gun enviroment?

I recently purchased a mid 60's revolver that had a rusty hammer yet the blueing looked great (98%+). The hammer was ONLY rusty where exposed. When the hammer was pulled back, the non-exposed area was not rusty. I figured it came from Florida or a coastal state.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are fine as long as the safe is in an air conditioned environment. We also keep our blued guns liberally coated with gun oil. If you are collecting older guns, most of course were not stainless. A gal friend of my sons put a beautiful blued 1911 in a gun safe wrapped in a towel with the A/C off some of the time in the Florida Keys. It had turned a deep brown when she retrieved it in a month or so.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
While I would try hard to get the price down, I would not let it slip by for $900. A 95% 4 inch OMT is rather rare. Being a 1920 model would be the kicker for me. 80+ years old, good condition, and a 4 inch barrel would have me refusing to hand it back. The holster could also have substantial value depending on who made it. That in itself is worth some more investigation.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Majic: Also heard from a Mr. Miller on a Yahoo Colt group who collects Colt targets, and he says to buy it. He has a great deal of experience with Colt OMT"s, and says he can find no record of a 4" Soooo! I guess we will buy it. I will try to beat the dealer down as much as possible. Again I thank you all in the revolver brain trust for the expert advice. Within a week or so, I am going to learn to post pics, and I'll put this one up when we get it. We have just been busy as hell with the business. We are still recovering to a degree from the two hurricanes that hit here last September.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Robba;just make sure you check the screws on the front(and rear!) sights of that 4" OM. As I said earlier,the Lt. Col. MIGHT have "secured" the 2 screws so they wouldn't loosen up their settings in his holster.

Figured that was your post on Miller's Colt Target Revolver Forum on Yahoo.

Bud

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Florida Highway Patrol 5" Pythons are going for about $1,200 down here. I have seen two sell for that lately out of gun shops. The only problem with me is first that price, and second the limited appeal probably just in the Florida gun market. I don't know how many foks outside Florida would want that gun for that price?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
How much are the "plain jane" 5" Nickled Old Model Troopers going for nowdays down there?? I gave $300 OTD a little over a year ago for one up here in Maine,roughly 95%. Had rubber grips,that lazy dealer didn't remove to see the FHP *** on butt. I had both service stocks(polished Tyler too) and correct Trooper Target stocks to add to it.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
132 Posts
I started a thread on the topic of short(less than 6") OMT's some time back, after buying a fine 5" example from a member of this board. The consensus seemed to be that they are quite hard to find, harder than the 6" .32's (production about 800). I would be delighted to hear from someone who knows actual production figures or has anything else to add. I've been watching the OMT market for years and only rarely see a short barrel OMT.

Best,
Bill

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not seen a nickel FHP Trooper. Probably just have not bumped into one in our area. If you paid $300. for one, that was a great deal. I think the price now would be $650 to $750. The fat cat high ranking FHP officers ordered Pythons for themselves, and the others got the Troopers. Correction on what I said prior, the FHP Pythons I have seen are both 4" barrels, and the latest was $1,150.with what looks like black Pacs. I have no idea how much the right wood grips would be for it. The one I saw sold a couple of weeks ago went for $1,200. The $1,150. one may just sit for some time. Thats a awfully high price for a small town gun shop to want. It is also not quite 98%.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I intend to buy the 4" OMT when I get back down to that city. Its not going anywhere as they have had it for some time, and have no idea of its rarity. It is not 98%, it has a few very small spots showing through the blue, and a little muzzle holster wear. If you are the same Bill as on the Yahoo group, when I get it I'll give you the Serial#, and post some pics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts