Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
"Great shape for its age"...that's a very subjective statement. If the action is tight it's barely worth the asking price. For a .38 Special you can find much better for not too much more money. It might be an excellent shooter if one cares to take a gamble.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
A Heavy barrel on that one, and deep set medallion walnut grips. Honest carry wear. Finish in about 85% condition, depending on how you consider that barrel scratch and a few browning spots that would clean up....for $440. Sounds like a great deal to me.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Azshot ... i agree with you thats what i saw in this gun, others are negative as usual. I don't see many others in a little better shape near this sub 500 price. People would clean up the the grips and sell them near $175 soak in Kroil and a great shooter..... Sorry i put this thread up.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think the best part about it, is the grips. I do not see a serial number, but assuming the grips, front site blade, and ejector rod end are correct then for sure there this a barrel replacement, with a late barrel and thus also a reblue. The correct barrel would be std. weight w the small Maltese cross rollmark.

Still, if it is is time nothing to complain about for $440! If no cracks or chips grips are an easy $200.

Not in the market but thanks for posting.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
It's serial number dates to 1920 if I looked it up right. The front site is the bead type, correct for that era I think. I don't know when the maltese cross started and stopped. Or heavy barrels, not yet marked so. I see no evidence of a reblue.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Better pictures would help, the top strap looks ok but the rest of the frame looks like a brushed finish, later blue. And no fire blue on the trigger or screws.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Well, it is what it is ! Truck gun !

I wonder whether the cartridge impressions on the recoil shield can imply past usage of modern loads (FMJ or +P FMJ) rather than lead bullet 158 G .38 Sp. ?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Looks like the top of the rear sight blade was filed down. But that is an easy replacement, parts are available from GPC. I do have to give credit to the seller for posting 41 clear photos, certainly that will help any bidders decide what it is worth to them.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like the top of the rear sight blade was filed down. But that is an easy replacement, parts are available from GPC. I do have to give credit to the seller for posting 41 clear photos, certainly that will help any bidders decide what it is worth to them.

Walter whats is GPC?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts