Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I already sent this photo to the owner so he’s seen it.
This one is going back to Home sweet Home in New Mexico.

If you recall something unexpected happened when this was in my custody. I pushed on the front sight with my thumb and it broke off!!
New weld front sight: $45
Re-blue Barrel: $20

(Turning barrel to change POI was an original order ($125) prior to the mishap - plus a rock solid tune up using all the original parts).

Fire blued the screws to make it pop.

I’ll post the weld/finished photos tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The front sight blade broke, or came unsoldered out of the barrel slot? Either way it sounds like poor quality control at the Colt factory. Not very impressive to the extent that Colt should repair at no cost.

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front sight blade broke, or came unsoldered out of the barrel slot? Either way it sounds like poor quality control at the Colt factory. Not very impressive to the extent that Colt should repair at no cost.
V1SW: I called Colt. Customer was not the original owner. After some hand wringing I established Colts cost was guesstimated at $250.
The slot in the barrel was only filled about 15% with solder. Yes, it broke out if the barrel slot. Not to mention it was crooked.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I bought a used colt saa made probably in the 1980`s in 1989. It was used as new without the box and docs. I fired it and the cases were bulged and I had to hammer them out. I sent the gun to colt with the complaint. They sent the gun back to me with a new cylinder with the removable bushing NUMBERED to the gun along with the original cylinder (both with the same serial numbers).
They didn't charge me a dime and paid for the shipping!!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
V1SW: I called Colt. Customer was not the original owner. After some hand wringing I established Colts cost was guesstimated at $250.
The slot in the barrel was only filled about 15% with solder. Yes, it broke out if the barrel slot. Not to mention it was crooked.
I have seen Colt SAA 2nd Gen's before with missing front sights. The 2nd Gen guns actually have front sights set into a wider woodruff-type key slot (0.125") than the 1st Gen guns (0.100"). This should result in a stronger sight-to-barrel joint. That is higher strength silver solder, but at only 15% coverage some heavy recoil could result in a popped sight. If Colt only charged $45 for re-soldering and $20 for re-bluing, that cost sounds very reasonable. Maybe Colt was privately feeling badly about this situation?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I bought a used colt saa made probably in the 1980`s in 1989. It was used as new without the box and docs. I fired it and the cases were bulged and I had to hammer them out. I sent the gun to colt with the complaint. They sent the gun back to me with a new cylinder with the removable bushing NUMBERED to the gun along with the original cylinder (both with the same serial numbers).
They didn't charge me a dime and paid for the shipping!!

If the cases had to be beaten out of the chambers, then either the previous owner shot some excessive-pressure loads, or Colt used the wrong steel in making that cylinder. When you look into the chambers of the original cylinder, are they pushed upward into the cylinder lock slots? Or is it worse than that, and the slightly-tapered chambers have a general bulged place somewhere in the middle?

I can only suspect that some very hot loads were fired in this gun. It is a bit hard to imagine a steel with such low yield strength that would give this result with normal loads. In any case, it is good that Colt replaced the cylinder at no cost.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I haven't looked at it in ages. I will pull it out later today or tomorrow and look closer. I test fired the cylinder and the new cylinder was fine. I should have shot the same ammo through both and compare. I dont own a micrometer and wouldn't know how to read one if I did. Eyeballing them at the time I got it back I recall not being able to tell the difference, and was disappointed until I shot the new one. I do recall shooting a S&W 25-5 alongside it with the same ammo when I discovered the problem. The fired cases dropped right out of the smith and the colt cases were bulged! I didn't get around to sending it back to colt for a number of years thinking they wouldn't do anything but finally I did with the request could I have the new cylinder with the removable bushing and to my surprise that`s what I got and no charge!! If they done that for me I would expect they would fix a sight for free on a brand new gun to the original owner! Was I just lucky and they are totally different today on customer service?? I wasn't even the original owner nor tried to imply that I was! By the way, I just looked in my record book and see that I gave $669.89 for the colt in may of 1989 and it looked mint! The serial # is SA 47021. It has the gold medallion walnut grips. What year would the DOM be? Also, what do you guys expect the gun would go for today? It still looks 98%.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Now I am getting confused. I bought this serial # SA 22235 NIB I am pretty sure in 1984! (It`s a .44 special). I bought both from "The Gunshop" in Lancaster CA. from Jack First when he was the colt authorized dealer there.
The used .45 # SA47021 in 1989 DOM 1981 ?????
The NIB .44 # SA22235 in june 1984 ?????
I have read there is often years between DOM and when the guns are sold. But when was the DOM on my .44 special??

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Your .44Special was built in 1979.
I have a 5,5" .45Colt built in 1982 but shipped from the factory according the Archive Letter in 1986 to the importer in Germany. It is not so uncommen that the DOM is much earlier then the real shipping date.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I haven't looked at it in ages. I will pull it out later today or tomorrow and look closer. I test fired the cylinder and the new cylinder was fine. I should have shot the same ammo through both and compare. I dont own a micrometer and wouldn't know how to read one if I did. Eyeballing them at the time I got it back I recall not being able to tell the difference, and was disappointed until I shot the new one. I do recall shooting a S&W 25-5 alongside it with the same ammo when I discovered the problem. The fired cases dropped right out of the smith and the colt cases were bulged! I didn't get around to sending it back to colt for a number of years thinking they wouldn't do anything but finally I did with the request could I have the new cylinder with the removable bushing and to my surprise that`s what I got and no charge!! If they done that for me I would expect they would fix a sight for free on a brand new gun to the original owner! Was I just lucky and they are totally different today on customer service?? I wasn't even the original owner nor tried to imply that I was! By the way, I just looked in my record book and see that I gave $669.89 for the colt in may of 1989 and it looked mint! The serial # is SA 47021. It has the gold medallion walnut grips. What year would the DOM be? Also, what do you guys expect the gun would go for today? It still looks 98%.
Proofhouse says your SA 47021 was made in 1968 (I don't know how good their info may be).

Another thought occurred to me about what caused the bulged and stuck cases. The chambers may have been oversized, either as made or as altered. A veteran policeman friend once told me about going to a crime scene, where a lady had shot a man. He said that she must have pushed the muzzle of the 41 Colt SAA right against the man's chest, when fired. There were powder burns all over this place on his shirt. He said "I began trying to eject the spent cartridges for evidence, but they were stuck. I had to bang on the cartridge cases with the ejector rod to get them out. Then I saw what had been loaded were 38 Special cartridges. The fired cases were bulged".

Of course, I am not implying that you loaded the wrong ammo, but an oversized chamber would cause the cases to bulge and get stuck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts