Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have not been here all that much lately to help out and I'm sorry about that.
Just been busy with some other projects. Hot Rods, Houses and guns.. you know guys stuff.
This is more of a history lesson for the newer guys getting into the Colts and falling in love with the Snake guns.
This may be boring for the older guys that have been around forever and know all this. So, you guys can leave the room.;)
The gun in the pictures below is a one of a kind Colt Python.
It's the only known snub nosed 38 special small frame Colt Python.
It actually is wearing a Colt factory experimental serial number.
From what I understand at one time Colt had decided that the introduction of a smaller lighter version of the Python would be much easier to carry. This gun answers the question to whether the Diamondback was a direct descendant of the Python. The answer is clearly.. YES
The gun below is a 6 shot 38 special small frame revolver with one of a kind full checkered target style grips/stocks. (See comparison photo with full size I frame grips/stocks)
As you can see by the hammer, it's not the normal Python hammer, but a Diamondback hammer.
The gun was originally labeled as a Python 38, but as we all know, this gun never went to production.
It was later introduced as the Diamondback.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I always enjoy seeing your experimental Colts and always learn something when you post one. That little Python is a wonderful piece of Colt History. Thanks for taking the time and don't be shy about coming around with a few more.

By the way, what does your letter say about ship or production date?

Thank you Jeff!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Jeff,Thanks for the history lesson and photos.I really like the look of the gun with the full checkered stocks.It's interesting to me when I stop in at a gun show and start looking at Pythons and D-backs.The answers I get to questions is astounding.There are an awful lot of people that know things that just aren't true.The sad thing is that trying to educate them just makes them mad.Not trying to hijack the thread.D*

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, what does your letter say about ship or production date?

Thank you Jeff!
Very good question.
That's the one piece to the puzzle that is missing on most of these guns. Because the guns were kept at Colt in their mysterious vault, unless they were tagged in some way with a date, we will never know the timeline in which all this took place.
I would love to know when this gun was created and how long it took before the first Diamondback was released.

As far as "What is that Puppy worth ????"

Tough to say. There's only one. It's not mint, because it was used as a test gun, but try to find another one.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the information and pictures! Is there an interesting story as to how you came into possession of such a rare piece?

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
Trying to educate people at a gun show is for the most part a waste of your time. If it's their gun just let them believe whatever they want and walk on. I use to attend a lot of gun shows when I collected Winchesters. If someone asks, take the time to help them, but you are going to get the the expert that has his buddy with him, and he stands there educating his buddy on what is wrong with a certain rifle. At first I tried to correct them, but found it much more pleasant to just let them amaze their buddy with their knowledge so he will move on to another table.

·
Registered
890 Posts
IMHO the only way to establish what that 'puppy" is worth is to put it into a high dollar auction and see who wants to be the "only" person on the planet earth to own the only link between a Python and a Diamondback. I can only imagine it would take some very very deep pockets. I imagine if I had won a $300 million dollar lotto I would be in the market for such a gem.

Absolutely marvelous piece GUNKWAZY.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Looking at the catalog auction description of Python .38 serial number GX5057, there was a yellow tag attached to the trigger guard of this revolver which was dated 3/21/67. So, the gun was made sometime before March of 1967. The gun was sold in the first Colt Archive auction at Greg Martin Auctions on January 18, 2009.

There was another experimental Python .38 sold in the second Colt Archives Auction (Greg Martin, March 29, 2009). This one had serial number GX5060 with a 6 inch barrel. The auction description said this one had the "appearance, scale, lines and weight of a Diamondback". There was no date notation with this revolver.

They were truly one-of-a-kind guns and pieces of Colt's history.

- - -Buckspen

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Educational and interesting thread. It makes perfect sense that Colt would take the road they did, in design, to create the Diamondback.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Looking at the catalog auction description of Python .38 serial number GX5057, there was a yellow tag attached to the trigger guard of this revolver which was dated 3/21/67. So, the gun was made sometime before March of 1967. The gun was sold in the first Colt Archive auction at Greg Martin Auctions on January 18, 2009.

There was another experimental Python .38 sold in the second Colt Archives Auction (Greg Martin, March 29, 2009). This one had serial number GX5060 with a 6 inch barrel. The auction description said this one had the "appearance, scale, lines and weight of a Diamondback". There was no date notation with this revolver.

They were truly one-of-a-kind guns and pieces of Colt's history.

- - -Buckspen
Any prices realized?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Thanks for posting. A question comes to my mind, what does the gun butt look like without the grips?

Curious about that.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
56 Posts
It would be fantastic to here more stories like Jeff's one off revolver. If others have a gun with a story to go with it, I sure would love to here them. Where in the world do you find Colts like this? Now that would be another story in it's self, as this is the reason I joined the forum. Thanks

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
It would be fantastic to here more stories like Jeff's one off revolver. If others have a gun with a story to go with it, I sure would love to here them. Where in the world do you find Colts like this? Now that would be another story in it's self, as this is the reason I joined the forum. Thanks
Collectors Firearms in Texas has had many a prototype Colt Revolver for sale over the years most of which have factory letters that went to Greg Martin. The Subject revolver here is pretty interesting but most of them are ugly and there doesn't seem to be much of a market for them as they sit for a VERY long time unsold. Anything Python related is of course wildly popular.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Where in the world do you find Colts like this?
Some may find it interesting that this gun, along with 1128 additional Colts, from Colts own archives, were sold in three auctions during the first 6 months of 2009. The prices realized were a fraction of what they would bring today, in many cases a very small fraction. The first auction was not well publicized but GUNKWAZY did alert the forum about auctions. It is stunning and heartbreaking to look back at that first auction and consider the opportunities lost. The second and third auctions brought more bidders and higher prices, but still very low by todays standards. From time to time you will see these "archive" guns pop up for sale on the auction sites and are easily identified by the accompanying Colt Letter, indicating it was part of the Colt Archives auctions.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since you guys seemed to like this one, I have more and I'll do them as time permits me.

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts