Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every since I was a kid I was fascinated by buried treasure, lost mines, etc. I read everything I can on the subject, from the Templars to The lost Dutchman to Pirates to Oak Island. I just read 'Apache Gold.....' again and am about done with 'Coronado's Children'. Been several years since I read it last. Which brings me to Dobie. I have some of his books and they all are great. He lived when the old timers weren't that old and the stories are very entertaining. For a student of the Southwest, these books are a must.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Way back a lifetime ago in the early 1980s, I took a graduate class in Literature of the West from the late Professor Joe B.Frantz of the University of Texas.

Frantz had been a student of Dobie’s at UT and may actually have given his writings more prominence than they “objectively” warranted, but he was full of stories about Dobie and the books are delightful.

I was assigned the “animal books”: The Longhorns, The Mustangs, The Voice of the Coyote. Great stuff.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
J Frank is an excellent read. One of my favorite stories about him was he despised the tower there on UT, he called it (ut president) Battle's last erection and said they should lay it over and build a wrap around porch on it. One of his contemporariesand friends Walter Prescott Webb is a fine read as well. Mitchner's Texas is good as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts