Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to preface this post with a couple of observations. First, I realize some of you fellers are not enamored with an all blue SAA. And an all blue 3rd Gen. SAA...oh the humanity! But, please try to keep an open mind. This blued revolver paired with ivory grips I think is stunning! So go easy on me please.

IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG

This SAA was manufactured in 1989 and came from Colt with ivory grips (so says the end label on the box. I did buy this used so my question is are these real ivory grips? I am far from an ivory expert and can't tell fake from authentic.

I also have a dilemma. I'm getting a little long in the tooth and have a couple of health issues so this one and several of my other prized possessions may be going up for sale in the not too distant future. Can't leave these for my wife to dispose of (she says I'll turn over in my grave if she has to do it and the prices she sells them for) and my brother and sister have no interest in guns, so what's a guy to do? It's gonna be hard though. Some I've had for 35 - 40 years or so. Anyway, my question is, can I even sell this revolver with the ivory grips attached? I know there's been some rule changes and I'm not sure what's legal and what isn't anymore.

Ok, that's it. Fire away!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually do see some lines on the bottom of the grips but they aren’t nearly as pronounced as the ones in your post. Had to get a magnifying glass to see them. I tried to take a picture of them but they don’t show up at all. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
There’s no federal law against selling that gun with ivory across state lines, unless you’re shipping it to a stupid state.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should be OK ( in your own State )
"This SAA was manufactured in 1989 and came from Colt with ivory grips (so says the end label on the box."
The box proves its pre ban Ivory.
You could still run into some pencil neck that will make you prove it Pre ban...
The Law got wanky in 2016 as to Interstate, with hoops & ladders to follow.

It is still legal to own, sell, buy or ship ivory products within the boundaries of the US (except unfriendly Gun States for the GUN itself ) , it is illegal to import, buy and sell ivory (products) internationally.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. I’m hoping to hang on to it for a while longer. But ya never know.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Here is my factory 4 3/4 .with your same medallions .
Also my 5 1/2 sans medallions- my first 5 were full blue .
I would love to see your label , my factory 8” with same stocks as the three didn’t letter .
I’m assuming you have the maroon cardboard box , possibly an early blue plastic , or even Custom Shop overlay label ? Either way , please post picture .

My money says your stocks are ivory and factory , and can legally sell gun as shown .
I value my full blued w/ ivory at 25 - $3000 in today’s market .
Factory ivory was last offered over five years ago , a $900 option .
BBF7FBB5-371B-47C9-BDE2-AAC862006599.jpeg
9A23AB91-0E73-4F6A-AB3B-B5099525CA2A.jpeg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ColtsDad,

After digging the box out, I'm sorry to say that the little round sticker that said "Ivory" on it is missing. Must have come off when rearranging the boxes years ago. Breaks my heart actually. Here's a pic of the end label and if you'll look at the bottom right corner, you can see where the sticker was. I suppose now my only option is to letter the revolver. Bummer!!!

On another note, those are some fine looking Colts you have.

IMG_0260.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,411 Posts
I like it a lot! Nothing wrong with full blue and ivory. If it were mine and I wanted to sell it (which I would not), I would get an Archive letter on the gun. That will prove the grips are factory and will increase the value substantially. As ColtsDad said above, the grips are worth 1000 bucks, factory fitted.
- Bruce in Ohio

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
it's called 'cross hatching' all ivory has it and no synthetic has been able to reproduce it.
Ivory-Resin from David Walther at Guitar Parts and more has come very close to genuine ivory look with his material. Here’s “schregar” lines on a set I made.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I can't for the life of me know how they make those schrager lines. Every set I make from Dave's guitar parts has them. I do have a complete blued Single Action(Uberti) that looks like my original 1905 Colt, which has lost it's bluing over the past century.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ColtsDad,

After digging the box out, I'm sorry to say that the little round sticker that said "Ivory" on it is missing. Must have come off when rearranging the boxes years ago. Breaks my heart actually. Here's a pic of the end label and if you'll look at the bottom right corner, you can see where the sticker was. I suppose now my only option is to letter the revolver. Bummer!!!

On another note, those are some fine looking Colts you have.

View attachment 739896
I think there are enough of us Colt collectors out there who are very familiar with the full blue, ivory SAAs of that period. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
A real beauty.
"I'm not sure what's legal and what isn't anymore."
You're not alone in that.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
A real beauty.
"I'm not sure what's legal and what isn't anymore."
You're not alone in that.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp...............
If the ivory grips are part of the gun (which they are in this case), they're considered a deminimus part of the gun, and it's legal to sell the gun and grips.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Anyway, my question is, can I even sell this revolver with the ivory grips attached? I know there's been some rule changes and I'm not sure what's legal and what isn't anymore.
You've got it sort-of backwards. Under the current regulations, the ONLY way you can sell the ivory grips across state lines is if they are attached to the gun. That gets you past the de minimus exemption where the majority of the value is from the non-ivory component (i.e., the gun itself).

Nice revolver, by the way.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts