Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I can't for the life of me know how they make those schrager lines. Every set I make from Dave's guitar parts has them. I do have a complete blued Single Action(Uberti) that looks like my original 1905 Colt, which has lost it's bluing over the past century.
I don't think you'll find real ivory with lines like that. That looks more like a laminated part like wood grips that are made that way.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is the hot needle test still used to test for ivory? I know it won’t work for bone or tooth but, it works great to test for plastic.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I’ve googled how to know if it’s real ivory or not and several of the posts (not this forum) have said DO NOT use the hot needle method. I forget why but since then I’ve shied away from this test.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I’ve googled how to know if it’s real ivory or not and several of the posts (not this forum) have said DO NOT use the hot needle method. I forget why but since then I’ve shied away from this test.
I don't see why it would be a problem so long as the test was performed on the back of the grips where the mark couldn't be seen.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
US Fish & Wildlife Service Ivory Information ( as of 7/6/2016 )

Links Below

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
US Fish & Wildlife Service Ivory Information ( as of 7/6/2016 )

Links Below

Very interesting read. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ivory-Resin from David Walther at Guitar Parts and more has come very close to genuine ivory look with his material. Here’s “schregar” lines on a set I made.

View attachment 739914
Looks like the "American Ivory" that Boone Trading Company offers too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As for the gun being blued, I think they look awesome. The ones seen on westerns are usually blued. They likely (but I have no knowledge of this) blued them in the BP days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
All blue Ivory is one of my favorite configurations, especially a high polish. I would be very happy to own that 3rd Gen. Very happy.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts