Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I find it humorous every time somebody concocts one of these scemes, "It's one of the first 500 smokeless powder revolvers!". I don't care. It's a Colt SAA made in a sequence with many others. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another late 19th century Colt...maybe, and it ain't even a Bisley! Where's the circle around the pony? There should be a circle...

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
The pony and the patent dates show heavy buffing. It's refinished. I get tired of people using the word "restored". Even with Turnbull, you ain't "restoring" a 1910 Colt factory finish today. You are cloning, replicating, copying....

People that keep getting these reblues/recase hardening jobs are fooling themselves that they're then going to sell the SAA for what an original goes for. It has 0% original finish. It's NOT a valuable collectible anymore. I guess this asking price is what happens when you take an original, worn SAA for $1500, and get a $4,000 turnbull re-do.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The pony and the patent dates show heavy buffing. It's refinished. I get tired of people using the word "restored". Even with Turnbull, you ain't "restoring" a 1910 Colt factory finish today. You are cloning, replicating, copying....

People that keep getting these reblues/recase hardening jobs are fooling themselves that they're then going to sell the SAA for what an original goes for. It has 0% original finish. It's NOT a valuable collectible anymore. I guess this asking price is what happens when you take an original, worn SAA for $1500, and get a $4,000 turnbull re-do.
Agreed. The rampant colt is almost buffed completely off and the patent dates (most of it anyway) is sharp as can be. This gun screams of a refinish.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts

We couldn't agree more!

I would love to have some of the Colt SAA's that Turnbull has "restored", before he does his damage. Like that 4-3/4" black powder 1880's Colt SAA with original 1-Pc Walnuts and missing ejector. Turnbull's stamps Do Not Look Right!! I say -- before sending a Colt SAA to Turnbull, maybe consider just buying a new 3rd Gen. Heck, I might buy the new 3rd Gen for you, to get the original!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm no expert. Far from it. But that's why I'm here reading and trying to sort out clues. One clue that doesn't take years of experience is the quality of the pictures. All of the full body pictures are in the dark. If you even think you have a high dollar gun, you'd have to have really good pictures to convince a buyer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts