Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had 2 piece ivories but now I'm thinking maybe a nice set of one-piece for 7.5" SAA in 45 Colt.

Would like input, pro or con. This gun will see range duty.

Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
One piece ivory does have a lot of class.

You can get them as true one piece, but it seems some makers are making them up from two pieces with a filler piece bonded in between.

This usually lowers the cost of the grips and it's quite undetectable unless you disassemble the grip frame.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
One piece ivory does have a lot of class.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Go for it. You know you want to. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Jim glad you got the SAA grips I sold you. As far as the one piece,I agree that they look great,and usually feel wonderful,at least in wood.

Is the maker "local" to you(?)as usually,these one piece stocks really require some hand fitting,and the gun,at least the back strap/trigger guard assembly,but preferably,the entire gun should be used to insure a great fit. If not,you will have some high/low spots were the metal and ivory "meet" that can cause some "discomfort" when shooting,and even possible breaking under recoil if there are stress points.

Good Luck,

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ynot417,

To remove one piece grips for a SAA you must remove the grip backstrap. The grips are actually two pieces glued to a spacer bar which is fitted up against and held in place by the backstrap. Kinda hard to describe but if you're looking at a SAA with the grip panels removed you'd get the idea.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts