Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I spent money with this particular auction seller some years ago and he knew exactly what to say in a listing. I'm a little wiser thanks to the Colt Forum. I don't like to participate in messing with somone's listing..(it often reflects badly ) but there is a slight bending of the truth here in case there is some new collectors that might fall for the smooth talk.
Peacemaker Buntline .22LR only listing with "original" box.
yes, the 22LR only from factory are more rare. Problem: the barrel on the gun is the 22mag barrel.
yes they did come in a 2 piece box in 1973. Problem: They DID come with a label on the end (which would prove that gun is missing the 22 mag cylinder). Seller says it was bought Before labels were put on boxes. serial number is penciled in on bottom. I have several earlier models that have labels on the box myself.
The grainy photos almost hide what i'm seeing as a Peacemaker not in the condition that the Buy Now price reflects. $960

I could let it go if he wasn't flashing the "original receipt" and price where he bought it originally himself. If he bought it originally then he knows he doesn't have the other cylinder, cylinder box, .. and I'm pretty sure the wrong paperwork with it in the photos.
My observation is the reciept looks like it is original to the gun in the middle part... but his information in the address section is a darker ink and not in the same handwriting. I "aint no expert", but the "S" in the address is alot different than S's in the receipt part. I'm not positive but I think I can detect evidence of other writing that was erased. All in All, I'd say he got a gun in average condition that was missing the extra cylinder, and if the box came with it then the label was removed, or another box was obtained and label removed.
Buck or some of you other keen eyed single action 22 experts take a gander. I'm still fairly new, so please point it out if I am in total error.

Registered
So where's this being advertised at?? Inquiring minds want to know??

Premium Member
I saw that listing a few days ago. The seller says it is 90%; if I were rating it, I would call it about 75%. The case coloring is almost gone and there is significant wear to the bluing on the barrel and cylinder. (I have lots of Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers that are as old as his, and the case colors haven't faded a bit.) The business about the label is pure hot air. Colt always put labels on the boxes. It is true that the glue they used on these boxes wasn't very good, I've seen quite a few with missing labels or labels that are about to peel off. And I have never seen a Peacemaker .22 or New Frontier .22 box marked with the serial number on the bottom. He is way over priced on the gun. If it were 99-100%, it might bring that much, but not in the condition shown in the photos. I always like to find guns with original receipts and similar papers, but I want the guns to be nice condition, too!

- - - - - -Buckspen

Registered
Got your PM - Thanks - it was nice chattin with ya. I passed one up with the box and both cyl. in way better shape for $500.00 out the door at a Gun Show a couple of months ago. You can guess where I've been kicking myself ever since.
Just a thought - isn't a Buntline longer then 7 1/2 inches ??

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
I saw that listing a few days ago. The seller says it is 90%; if I were rating it, I would call it about 75%. The case coloring is almost gone and there is significant wear to the bluing on the barrel and cylinder. (I have lots of Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers that are as old as his, and the case colors haven't faded a bit.) The business about the label is pure hot air. Colt always put labels on the boxes. It is true that the glue they used on these boxes wasn't very good, I've seen quite a few with missing labels or labels that are about to peel off. And I have never seen a Peacemaker .22 or New Frontier .22 box marked with the serial number on the bottom. He is way over priced on the gun. If it were 99-100%, it might bring that much, but not in the condition shown in the photos. I always like to find guns with original receipts and similar papers, but I want the guns to be nice condition, too!

- - - - - -Buckspen
I got hold of a Buntline peacemaker like that recently at the local. The previous owner was the original owner and receipt came with it. The gentleman had passed away and his kids traded in about 170 guns (many are still listed on Guns International.. but steeply priced Colts)I did pay 900 even. Like you said, those are rare. The gun was 98% unfired. had been stored in the styrofoam box some and had to be cleaned up a little.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
Got your PM - Thanks - it was nice chattin with ya. I passed one up with the box and both cyl. in way better shape for $500.00 out the door at a Gun Show a couple of months ago. You can guess where I've been kicking myself ever since.
Just a thought - isn't a Buntline longer then 7 1/2 inches ??
oh man. we just don't see those deals in Eastern NC. The gun shows are too far away. When one is close there is too many people and not enough guns.
A 22 Peacemaker and New Frontier Buntline is 7.5 ". but you are right in that most Buntlines are longer than that. I believe the 22 Scout Buntline was longer, but I don't have one. To me that is the good thing about the little Colt 22 Buntlines, they are long but not so long. I mostly started collecting the peacemaker and NF buntlines just because that's what's been for sale in excellent condition. The short barrels are rare on GB in good condition and bringing many bidders and big prices.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
I notice that Buck's got real character. He sticks to what can be proved. In his post, he stated the condition of the gun, what its worth in that condition, .. its overpriced... and what he likes.
I need some of that character to rub off on me. I saw that listing last night and just wanted to call him (the auction lister) out on it, and say how about telling the truth. That's a waste of time and I should know that by now.

Registered
I need some of that character to rub off on me. I saw that listing last night and just wanted to call him (the auction lister) out on it, and say how about telling the truth. That's a waste of time and I should know that by now.
I don't think you did anything wrong. You saw something that didn't pass your smell test and raised the issue here, where it could be resolved. I, for one, love these kind of posts because I always learn something new from them.

Registered
I know nothing bout these types of Colts. However, I agree with you about the handwriting on the receipt. Two different people wrote on that receipt. Among other things, look at the 7 on the top of the receipt, now look at the 7 with the cross through it in the middle of the receipt. Anybody who uses a European 7 would most probably consistantly use it and and not change around between the two ways you can write it.

Registered
(I have lots of Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers that are as old as his, and the case colors haven't faded a bit.) The business about the label is pure hot air. Colt always put labels on the boxes. It is true that the glue they used on these boxes wasn't very good, I've seen quite a few with missing labels or labels that are about to peel off. And I have never seen a Peacemaker .22 or New Frontier .22 box marked with the serial number on the bottom.

- - - - - -Buckspen
Actually, that statement is incorrect. There was a period of time (however small) Colt boxes did not have end labels. In the evolution of the Colt shipping box, Colt transitioned from the red lined two piece cardboard wood grain box to the formed brown two piece form liners with a light brown colored wood grain box. At first the serial number, model number, and barrel length were written on the box end flap in black ink for certain models. I have an example of a New Frontier .22 6" with a "no end label" box. The end label was introduced shortly after and evolved throughout production.

Case coloring can fade substantially when cared for/stored improperly. Unfortunately I have examples of that as well.

Premium Member
Gunpoor - I'm not saying you are wrong; I've seen some strange things that Colt did over the years with boxes and labels. However, I have looked at a very large number of Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers from the 1970s and have never seen one with handwritten information on the end flap.
I'd very much to see a photo the box for your New Frontier .22, if you would care to post it here or send it to my personal e-mail ([email protected]).
To answer an earlier question, the Buntline Scout revolvers made in the 1960's had 9 1/2 inch barrels. The Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 Buntlines had 7 1/2 inch barrels. What's in a name? Buntline by any barrel length, I guess.

- - - -Buckspen

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, that statement is incorrect. There was a period of time (however small) Colt boxes did not have end labels. In the evolution of the Colt shipping box, Colt transitioned from the red lined two piece cardboard wood grain box to the formed brown two piece form liners with a light brown colored wood grain box. At first the serial number, model number, and barrel length were written on the box end flap in black ink for certain models. I have an example of a New Frontier .22 6" with a "no end label" box. The end label was introduced shortly after and evolved throughout production.

Case coloring can fade substantially when cared for/stored improperly. Unfortunately I have examples of that as well.
You are correct sir in your statement about the labels on the box... this seller says the gun is a 1973 model. correct me someone if I am wrong, but by 1973 all the tan 2 piece boxes came with labels. The brown boxes with the serial number written on the bottom I've seen with the Scouts. You are also correct that case coloring does fade, I have several examples with varying levels of case coloring. The gun this particular seller is listing is in very worn bluing condition. I hope he gets what he's asking.. because my 99% conditioned ones will have doubled in value in 2 years.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts