Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Backstory:
I asked my wife to make me a Colt Quilt over a year ago. I wrote to, called and received permission from Colt (in writing :) ) to have a one of a kind, not to be sold, family quilt utilizing Colt Logo(s) and other proprietary Colt images. Little did I know that a lot of what finally went into the quilt would be processes that my wife hadn't done before. Many, many months went into the layout, design, applique forms and calculations not to mention color preference and coordination. To say Mrs. MtnSpur went above and beyond is an understatement. Her mom, a quilter for over 60 years, helped tremendously and lent the use of her computerized long arm quilting machine that resides in her quilting shop to do the actual quilt stitch patterns (if that's the right term). It's made for a Super Queen Size bed but shown here on regular queen size. Without further ado or more nonsense from me I present "Rampant Stallion" prior to final binding and cleanup work.

It's difficult to capture the attention to detail so I've added additional pictures to highlight the "tooled leather" style quilt stitch Mrs. MtnSpur used. Needs to be hung upright and photographed but that will happen after it's finished. My mother in law is going to display it at her shop for awhile.

· Registered
5,393 Posts
That my friend is one great looking quilt. She did an amazing job.

Reactions: MtnSpur

· Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Absolutely outstanding Jeff, just beautiful. Since Mrs. MtnSpur isn't a gun person, maybe a few dinners out to her favorite place would be in order, for all that fabulous work.

Bud
ps
I know the quilt isn't for sale, but I would bet that whatever it's value, that letter from Colt, (provided it doesn't mention that the quilt is not for resle), has just increased the value of that beautiful Colt Quilt by at least ten times. Not a doubt in my mind.

I'd be willing to bet that Sam Colt himself would wish he'd thought of it first.

Backstory:
I asked my wife to make me a Colt Quilt over a year ago. I wrote to, called and received permission from Colt (in writing :) ) to have a one of a kind, not to be sold, family quilt utilizing Colt Logo(s) and other proprietary Colt images. Little did I know that a lot of what finally went into the quilt would be processes that my wife hadn't done before. Many, many months went into the layout, design, applique forms and calculations not to mention color preference and coordination. To say Mrs. MtnSpur went above and beyond is an understatement. Her mom, a quilter for over 60 years, helped tremendously and lent the use of her computerized long arm quilting machine that resides in her quilting shop to do the actual quilt stitch patterns (if that's the right term). It's made for a King Size bed but shown here on a queen size. Without further ado or more nonsense from me I present "Rampant Stallion" prior to final binding and cleanup work.

It's difficult to capture the attention to detail so I've added additional pictures to highlight the "tooled leather" style quilt stitch Mrs. MtnSpur used. Needs to be hung upright and photographed but that will happen after it's finished. My mother in law is going to display it at her shop for awhile.

· Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Absolutely outstanding Jeff, just beautiful. Since Mrs. MtnSpur isn't a gun person, maybe a few dinners out to her favorite place would be in order, for all that fabulous work.

Bud
ps
I know the quilt isn't for sale, but I would bet that whatever it's value, that letter from Colt, (provided it doesn't mention that the quilt is not for resle), has just increased the value of that beautiful Colt Quilt by at least ten times. Not a doubt in my mind.

I'd be willing to bet that Sam Colt himself would wish he'd thought of it first.
Thank you Bud, and actually Mrs. MtnSpur is a gun person and a fine shot to boot. She just doesn't have the luxury of having as much "outdoor" time as I do. With the amount of time she put into the quilt by first hand cutting patterns, then applique sewing to the top, then dozens of fabric store trips to get just the right material with pattern, then cutting and assembling the top design and (not quite finally) using the long arm quilting machine at her mom's shop to assign just the right quilt sewing style and pattern...this has hundreds of hours in it with just the estimated cost of "quilting" (pattern stitching) somewhere around $800-950. Obviously it's priceless to us but had it been something made for a customer...you could buy a Mr. Fugate NIB Colt Python. I only compare John's NIB due to his known quality of 100% condition pieces. I give her the utmost respect and credit for her determination and attention to the smallest detail. She had to take breaks for a week here and there to do quilts for friends and family as this one wore her down. I owe her more than I can ever repay my friend.

· Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Sorry Jeff, I was reading another post and mistakenly thought it was about your wife. Well, that's great then, that she is indeed a "gun" person. My wife too as a matter of fact.

I'm quite sure the quilt is priceless, and so it should be I'm sure. I have no idea what it took to make such a beautiful piece of art Jeff, but whatever it took, your wife had it, and in reserve I think. I can just imagine the sore fingers, cramped hands and other relative ailments that would pop up from time to time. Not something I could ever do on my very best day.

As for owing your wife more than you could ever repay Jeff? I feel the same way about my wife.

Bud

Thank you Bud, and actually Mrs. MtnSpur is a gun person and a fine shot to boot. She just doesn't have the luxury of having as much "outdoor" time as I do. With the amount of time she put into the quilt by first hand cutting patterns, then applique sewing to the top, then dozens of fabric store trips to get just the right material with pattern, then cutting and assembling the top design and (not quite finally) using the long arm quilting machine at her mom's shop to assign just the right quilt sewing style and pattern...this has hundreds of hours in it with just the estimated cost of "quilting" (pattern stitching) somewhere around $800-950. Obviously it's priceless to us but had it been something made for a customer...you could buy a Mr. Fugate NIB Colt Python. I only compare John's NIB due to his known quality of 100% condition pieces. I give her the utmost respect and credit for her determination and attention to the smallest detail. She had to take breaks for a week here and there to do quilts for friends and family as this one wore her down. I owe her more than I can ever repay my friend.

· Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That quilt is absolutely stunning in it's plan and execution. :)
Could you show some close ups of the hand guns in the corners?
Thank you Ralph and I will once they've been finished. My wife didn't like the stitching around the silhouettes so after my preview yesterday she up and folded it and will make the adjustments. I was lucky to see it and take a few quick pictures as it was ;) . While I say it's magnificent and she can see it in my eyes and the big ole smile on my face, she's a perfectionist on the pattern looking just right in her eyes. I know there's a Python, a Detective Special (shrouded ejector) but for the life of me I can't remember what she used for the top left corner. She must have scanned and cut out 20 different inventory pictures and then sized them to full scale and then placed them in various places trying to get the "feel" she was looking for. I've learned to stay out of the way when she's working on this quilt. To say I was totally unprepared for what was involved would be putting it mildly.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.