Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Been a dedicated Gun owner since a
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my fourth gun from a Forum Member, wasn’t looking for a gun to buy and this gun Struct My Fancy as an old saying goes. It’s one of my favorite Colts, an Officers Model Target in .38 Cal. Kind of beat up with bluing worn from lots of carrying and shooting I imagine but you e see will not find any rust nor pitting on the gun nor in the bore. The grips are worn also from lots of time in a holster and in the hand. The Gentleman that owned this gun was The Chief of Criminal Investigations for The Iowa State Police. Back in the good days you could order a gun straight from Colt and they would ship straight to you!! Word has it this person was a gun lover and wanted a gun to perform so he sent it for a tune up to the action and a trigger job. The reason there is no rust nor pitting on this Colt was because the owner respected and took care of his guns. One mystery about this gun is that their is some not so intricate engraving on one side plate, the right one if I remember correctly but why not the other side or down the barrel or back strap? Could be this person was into al aspects of being a gun owner and user so maybe he saw an engraved gun and thought if I take my time I think I can do that. Then maybe when he stood back and looked at his work he decided one side was all it needed and I kinda agee with him but sure adds character to the Colt. Researching these old things is one of these best part about owning one, oh this one comes with a Colt Letter. Can’t wait until Friday when it comes in to the Gun Shop.
Thanks For Your Time,
Garrell Patterson

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just bought my fourth gun from a Forum Member, wasn’t looking for a gun to buy and this gun Struct My Fancy as an old saying goes. It’s one of my favorite Colts, an Officers Model Target in .38 Cal. Kind of beat up with bluing worn from lots of carrying and shooting I imagine but you e see will not find any rust nor pitting on the gun nor in the bore. The grips are worn also from lots of time in a holster and in the hand. The Gentleman that owned this gun was The Chief of Criminal Investigations for The Iowa State Police. Back in the good days you could order a gun straight from Colt and they would ship straight to you!! Word has it this person was a gun lover and wanted a gun to perform so he sent it for a tune up to the action and a trigger job. The reason there is no rust nor pitting on this Colt was because the owner respected and took care of his guns. One mystery about this gun is that their is some not so intricate engraving on one side plate, the right one if I remember correctly but why not the other side or down the barrel or back strap? Could be this person was into al aspects of being a gun owner and user so maybe he saw an engraved gun and thought if I take my time I think I can do that. Then maybe when he stood back and looked at his work he decided one side was all it needed and I kinda agee with him but sure adds character to the Colt. Researching these old things is one of these best part about owning one, oh this one comes with a Colt Letter. Can’t wait until Friday when it comes in to the Gun Shop.
Thanks For Your Time,
Garrell Patterson
Forgot to mention it was another very smooth transaction, everthing clicked with no disagreements or apologies needed. My check probably hasn’t even cleared yet but the gun is almost here according to the tracking number,
Garrrell

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engraving on right side only?
As the gun has wear from use and holster, might it be the owner wanted to “show off” the piece when in the holster?
That’s a thought but if you could see the engraving you might wonder not a holster where the butt of the gun is forward in the holster where it couldn’t be seen? I had rather go with your idea that he was proud of the engraving and wanted to show it off. Yeah that’s the reason.
Garrell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts