Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Numrich site to get an ejector rod for my Official Police. They have 3 listings - one for the MkIII guns, one for Official Police, and one for Official Police E-frame. I don't have a MkIII, so how do I determine if I have the E-frame gun, or not? If it makes any difference, the stocks from my Python fit the OP perfectly, and the ejector rod has a removeable knob. Gun was made about 1967.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I have to ask why you are replacing the ejector rod. I recently had the same idea for my OMM 5th issue. Same part numbers as the OP. On the first one they sent, the threaded portion on the star end was so long it filled the hole to the top and didn't allow the cylinder latch to enter. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif On the second try, the smooth/keyed portion of the rod extended beyond the cylinder face peventing the star from seating. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I didn't try a third one. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif My original is at Fords for cleanup and refinishing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,705 Posts
A 1967 model will use the parts listed under "Official Police". The "e-frame" parts are for earlier guns.

As above, getting the right parts can be difficult, and most revolver parts, particularly Colt's require some fitting.

PLUS, in order to get the ejector rod out of the crane assembly you'll HAVE to have a crane bushing wrench:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=712&s=2894
Without the wrench you CANNOT get the rod out.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A1A - Looks like the previous caretaker did a little home gunsmithing, and cold-blued the ejector rod. Of course, the color is not anywhere near a match. I thought of refinishing the whole gun, but I like it with a little "character".

dfaris - I have no intention of trying to install this myself. My 'smith, for some reason, has a problem finding parts, and I thought I'd save time by getting it for him. Thanks very much for the frame info.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
As Dr. D says, finding parts can be tough. Jack First and somebody else (I forget) just didn't have any. Because Numrich had a supply, they got two tries. I forgot to mention that the first rod also had non concentric threads such that the star was tilted and wouldn't seat, so even filing the threaded portion down to fit would not have worked. My OMM rod was scored as though someone tried to remove it like a new style, which it was not. The rest of the gun is fine. Perhaps your best solution is to have it stripped and reblued to a better Colt blue match by someone like Fords? The only problem seems to be getting a small job worked in. If I get mine back before you decide, I'll post a picture. As a matter of fact, I think I'll call right now and check on it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts