Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a pre-war OP and am favorably impressed. I had not had experience with the OP as I am more a Smith fan. But I can see where this frame size is somewhat more rugged than the Smith K frame.

Please--what other Colt guns used or use that frame?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
redhawk44

The OP has an "E" frame and I believe the only one exactly like that, the others with a similar "I" frame are the Python and the Trooper.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hello, Mr. Hawk. This is my re-do of a reply to your question ... the first one was so long, I was embarassed! I'll be breif ... the OP was originally marked as the, "Army Special." They're like the granchildren of the .38 Army revolver of the Teddy Roosevelt era, which the army flirted with between .45's. The OP was made in about every caliber there is and barrels of 2, 4, 5 and 6" and some in extra-heavy. The OP was made from the 20's to the 60's and was Colt's bread-and-butter gun. They were available in blue or nickel and usually came with the skinny, "service stocks," and skinny, "service," hammer. The Officer's Model Match and Officer's Model Target and Officer's Model Special are cousins for target shooting with nice, adjustable sights. Some of these were quite the bullseye guns before WWII and shortly after. Opinion Alert: I think the OP Colt is a bit heavier than a Smith #10; better 1X, more accurate from a rest, worse 2X, slightly longer finger reach and goes out of time quicker and are a great, yawning chasm of misery to gun smiths. (They ALWAYS like Smith's better, to my experience.) There. Enough to whet your appetite or bore you to death? Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Mine is a 32/20 and it seems to shoot rather well, tho I've not really wrung it out yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts