Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've been doing a little more investigating about the Uberti 44 open tops. Apparently, some were made with .429 groove barrels for modern (non-heel) 44 Colt or 44 Russian. Later some were made with .429 barrels and slightly bigger cylinders so that the rims of the 44 Special will fit. So, a Uberti open top marked 44 could also be marked: 44 Colt, 44 Russian, 44 Special.
It makes me wonder if the chambers are bored slightly convergent on the larger cylinder version.

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I won the bidding on the Cimarron/Uberti Open Top marked 44 Colt, 44 Russian, 44 Special on Gunbroker. The seller said the barrel is grooved for the .429 bullet. I should be able to pick it up in a few days from my local FFL.

I've got about twenty 44 Special brass and a few hundred 200 gr RNFP cast bullets sized to .431 dia. Time to work up some loads. Powders on hand are 2400, Unique, 700-X, and Green Dot.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I won the bidding on the Cimarron/Uberti Open Top marked 44 Colt, 44 Russian, 44 Special on Gunbroker. The seller said the barrel is grooved for the .429 bullet. I should be able to pick it up in a few days from my local FFL.

I've got about twenty 44 Special brass and a few hundred 200 gr RNFP cast bullets sized to .431 dia. Time to work up some loads. Powders on hand are 2400, Unique, 700-X, and Green Dot.
I've had good luck with Starline 44 Russian cases, 240 Grain Keith SWC's and Unique powder in mine. It was not as accurate using factory 44 Special ammo.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My open top arrived at my FFL. Looks nice. Still waiting for my background check approval. The item was listed on Gunbroker as an 1872 Open Top Army in 44 Colt/ Russian/ Special.
But as I looked over the gun I realized that the grip looks to be navy size. The grip is marked 44 cal. So I'm wondering if Uberti sometimes put navy size grips on the 44s. The Cimarron website today shows 44s and 45 Colts with army grips. But it also shows things called 1872 Open Top Navy revolvers in 45 Colt.
When I get it home I'll take some measurements. If it infact has Navy grips I will get a set of Army size grips for my big hands.
Here's a pic from Gunbroker.
View attachment 772515

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My open top arrived at my FFL. Looks nice. Still waiting for my background check approval. The item was listed on Gunbroker as an 1872 Open Top Army in 44 Colt/ Russian/ Special.
But as I looked over the gun I realized that the grip looks to be navy size. The grip is marked 44 cal. So I'm wondering if Uberti sometimes put navy size grips on the 44s. The Cimarron website today shows 44s and 45 Colts with army grips. But it also shows things called 1872 Open Top Navy revolvers in 45 Colt.
When I get it home I'll take some measurements. If it infact has Navy grips I will get a set of Army size grips for my big hands.
View attachment 772515
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Chaffee, nice collection! Could you indulge a curious mechanical engineer and take a few caliper View attachment 770305
measurements on one of those cylinders?
If it's not too inconvenient, I'd like to know:
cylinder outside diameter,
chamber throat diameter,
distance from the outside of one chamber throat across to the outside of the throat of the opposite chamber (that way I can calculate the "pitch" diameter of the chamber centerlines).
A- 40.8mm
B.- 11.7mm
C.- 38.6mm

·
Registered
217 Posts
View attachment 772515
Looks identical to mine other than yours has a longer barrel. Mine says 1872 Open Top Navy 5.5" 44 SPL on the sticker that came on the box.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got the revolver home today. It is used but excellent condition. And sure enough, it has the Navy size grips. It handles pretty nicely as is but I am going to shop around for a backstrap, trigger guard, and stock for an 1860 Uberti Army. That should fit I think.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
May be optical illusion but, that doesn't look like a 5 1/2" barrel as stated on your box label?
I have been looking at these. Does cocking the hammer give the 4 clicks like a Colt?
Is there a movable hammer block built into the hammer?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It is a 7.5" barrel. It was "Tall" who has a 5.5" barrel.
No hammer block; the firing pin is attached to the hammer. Carry with only 5 chambers loaded to be safe.
There are half cock and full cock notches on the hammer. No safety notch. So you get clicks when the bolt drops on the cylinder, the trigger passes half cock and falls into full cock, the bolt finds a bolt notch in the cylinder.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Yes, that is what I was asking about. Thanks.
I have the 1851 Navy conversion in .38 Spl. It is built the same way; I guess they all are. It is very accurate and sweet to shoot. Big post front sight is funky however. l like the looks of the blade front sight like yours has. Regards.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
This thing can shoot better than I can! At 20 yds I get a ragged 6 shot hole off a rest. I'm trying out 2 different bullet styles. I'm also going to try some .431 bullets to see how they work. My Bullseye load with 200gr RNFP bullets groups right at the point of aim.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts