Colt Forum banner

opinion on early n/s target

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  icdux1 
#1 ·
opinions on this early 1907 n/s target, stocks are later replacements i`m sure{no medallions in 07}.might try to trade for it as a SHOOTER it`s a .455{too bad it`s not a .44}. anybody see any other problems?? where are you bud?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to see someone else has a N.S. Target made in 1907!! Mine is serial#1732x. When I submitted it as one of the "survivors",Joe Miller said that his search of factory records didn't reveal any Target Models made that year. Sorry Joe,here's another one. Mine is .44 Russian,and pretty sure went back to Hartford to have its cylinder reamed to .44 Special,as work is first class.

Your N.S.T. looks correct(except for the stocks you mentioned). Probably ejector rod tip should have "3" grooved sections" vs.2. The sights ARE correct-and peculiar only to the .455(and maybe a .44) going to British. Fully adjustable sights just weren't "sporting" you know. So,rear sight was adjstable only by drift,front sight needed a new blade pinned in place to change elevation.

You must NOT reload the .455,and really,you don't know what you are missing. Situation today,with Hornady-Graf making the shorter Mk.II brass and plenty of .454 sized Cowboy bullets,is a helluva lot better than when I started shooting it 15 years ago,but was lucky living close to Canada and .455 Dominion brass/ammo..(the longer Mk.I,called .455 Colt by them).

Very accurate,and mild load-650-750 fps with 250 grain,or so lead. Glad the old girl hasn't been reamed to .45 Colt-or GOD FORBID-cylinder rear/ratchet "machined down" for .45 ACP.

If we lived closer,I'd take a look at it-BUT really,.455s are a real fun shoot,e-z to reload,and a helluva lot easier on the wrists than those 1000+fps heavy bullets(plus those slow heavy bullets are fun to pop cans etc. They really have some smack!

Bud

#3 ·
it`s not mine yet, i suspected the rod head was too short but it is the early one with takedown hole. i may hit you up for your favorite load for the 455 if i can aquire it.i would love to have a n/s target but just cant afford an expensive{nice} one, this may fit my budget if the deal works out.gun has no l/loop which i suspect it should have { havent seen it in the flesh yet.}

#4 ·
It shouldn't but we never say never! I am not sure of the British Military Service Revolver "rules" for target shooting. Some might have lanyards and have been "carried"(preferably on horseback! by the "Light Brigade Cavalry) These N.S.T.s MIGHT have been able to be used as they technically did not have "quick adjustment sights"-BUT I have also seen some Webley-Greene,Wilkerson- Webleys,with adjustable(windage only I think?). Damm near bought one at a small gun show in Mass. about a decade ago. It was technically an antique(1896),but dealer was afraid I'd get stopped on my way back to Maine(less than 30 miles to the border,mostly passing through "gun friendly" N.H.) and that he would get in trouble. I think I could've gotten it for $500;blue like the old Colt Carbona,but not mint. There were tons of local and State cops hanging around the show,looking "tough" and eating the food concessions out of all their "profits" with freebies,so this didn't improve his "courage".

Bud

#5 ·
I like it, icdux1! Has character!

One thought is you might be able to recoup some of the cost if you sell those grips since they aren’t correct anyway, as you note. Not sure what they’d go for, but I bet they ain’t cheap.

I think it would be neat to have an NST set up British target shooting style.

#6 ·
would like a shooter grade n/s target,have a pp/target and a couple officers mod`s that i shoot on occasion. most likely keep those stocks, think they are attractive. my guess is someone added the medallions, there were no medallions at that time,i think the flur-de-lis stocks were history by the time the deep dish type medallions were discontinued. those appear to be standard post 26 stamped med.`s /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
...stocks...my guess is someone added the medallions, there were no medallions at that time,i think the flur-de-lis stocks were history by the time the deep dish type medallions were discontinued. those appear to be standard post 26 stamped med.`s /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a link to a thread with a pic my NST, late '20s, with fleur-de-lis stocks with medallions. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat...=true#Post27617

Could you explain that about the medallions? Your point I mean. I think you don't mean that medallions were never on fleur-de-lis stocks, but that you think that early fleur-de-lis stocks did not have them, although later they did, and that you think the on the early-fleur-de-lis stocks on the NST that you are considering someone later added the medallions later. I am away from my books, and think I don't follow what your saying, probably because I don't understand the evolution of Colt medallions.

(Always lookin' for an education from you guys! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

#9 ·
onomea; the earliest NSTs ahd fleur de lies,NO medallions, The somewhere around 1911,the went to the same F.d.L. pattern with "deep set" medallions. NOT the type that icdux has shown on this gun.

I think he has correctly identified the medallions as post 1926(ish) that someone added to the gun by countersinking holes,and attaching the later medallions-but not really setting them in deeply.

Best I can explain it.

BTW,got some more N.S. info NOT in the Murphy book,from an old Gun Report,mostly about the 1900's inventories. One thing that stands out; even though only 5% of N.S. were nickled,it seems like they were a much higher % in the early 1900s than later on!! Only one I ever owned,was an 1899 38/40-pretty ratty. Saw a later one too-an engraved one(not Colt),that was a presentation piece! Sadly,there are "some",including a lot of surplus 1917s that were given "chrome bumper jobs". Bud

P.S. hope the Murads arrive soon,and you get to try them out on the N.S. T. or S.Master,as I take it your in the 50th state now?

#10 ·
Thanks, Bud. I appreciate the info.

Leaving Tokyo tonight for a month’s home leave and will be arriving in Hawaii this, uh, morning (!).

Got seven new (old) revos, Colts and Smiths, and a coupla rifles, custom M71 and a CZ rimfire mannlicher, to pick up from my FFL over there. Plus your Murads and various other essentials. Hoo boy! A year's worth of acquistions! I feel like a kid before Xmas! (I gotta get the missus to put on a blindfold when I lug all this in the door...) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ker-blammy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.