Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i am new to Colts and the Colt forum but not new to firearms. I have an opportunity to get my first colt 1911 it is a 70's series Govt. blued and in about 85-90% condition. The asking price is $950 and I do not know if this is worth this or not. I was told it was made in 1978 or 79. I know i can purchase newer Colts for less but this is very tempting. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Contact Colt customer service with the serial number for a production date.

When you say newer Colts, do you mean near in production years 1980's - current year - "newer models" Series 80's - or just brand new?

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
If you are wanting a Colt Model of 1911, the gun you mention will not be one. The last Model of 1911 was made in about 1923, other than some recent commemorative Models of 1911.

The price sounds high for a 1970s vintage Government Model in 85-90% condition, but prices do vary around the country. Have you checked the auction sites to see what is available there in used Series 70 Government Models?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As i said i am new to colt's. I am not really familiar with model years but i have seen what i guess are newer for $750 to $850.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If that serial number ends in G70....I can't be sure from the photo. It is a 1976 and that is far better than even 90% from those pics. A lot of people here would pay $950.00 for a Series 70 in that condition. Being new to Colts you won't have an appreciation for this gun as much as many others and you're right...you could get a brand new Colt for the same money but that one pictured is already appreciating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I am trading for it and the owner said that is what he is wanting for it. I look at guns for shooting not collecting and would probably trade it off for something more of a shooter than an investment.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'd jump on it for $950.00, looks to be in very good condition.

And shoot the hell out of it no need to trade it, it's not collectable IMHO but would be a great shooter.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It sounds high. Today, at an Ohio gunshow, I passed on a very high condition Colt National Match .45ACP 1911-style pistol, built in the mid-1960s, for around $1,000 or $1,050. I offered $800.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
this is what i have been getting, some say too expensive other say go for it. confusing to say the least.
Understand your confusion. It definitely is above 85%. Depending on what your trading I think $950 might be a fair price, especially if it comes with original box and paperwork.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Tenring71, I'd say go for this one. Looks like a beautiful weapon. I've been a Colt .45 ACP owner for a long time. One of mine I bought 21 years ago for $430.00 and it's not depreciated one thin dime since then. If you are a "shooter" more than a "collector", like many of us are, then you may have this pistol for some years. In that case, your investment will appreciate rapidly over time even if you put a few thousand rounds thru it. And by all means have the serial number at hand, call Colt and verify the date of manufacture. They will also tell you in a little detail what the color, specs, etc., were when it was built. Everything the gentleman told me on the phone matched what was printed on my original cardboard box. Next best thing to a Colt Letter, something you may consider if this weapon turns out to be a "keeper."

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
this is what i have been getting, some say too expensive other say go for it. confusing to say the least.
I would secure this one and you can horse trade it for many newer ones with no problem...New guns are everywhere....old Colts are a find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts