Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I can't pass up a thread that says Opinion so I titled mine that way. Bought a really nice Colt Courier .32, dual tone, 1955, original box, excellent condition. Has what appears to be touch ups in 3 places, backstrap, between gripstrap and trigger guard and in front of trigger guard. Hard to tell what the touch up was for. Appears to be done not too carefully, just kind of haphazard, especially the one in front of the trigger guard. Looks like black marker. So "who done it" opinion? Colt? Anyone else have one similar. Things happen in manufacturing, dings happen, so how did Colt fix a ding or did they just let it pass? Hard to believe someone tried to fix a couple of little dings like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Colt never did it - that's a guarantee.

This is something a ham-handed previous owner covered up - 'Oops' or even nail polish remover 'should' remove the paint.

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
Since the Courier has an aluminum frame it can't be touch-up blued. Attempts to coverup flaws in the finish seem to only make those flaws appear more noticeable. Even aluminum black stands out. If you can get that paint or whatever it is off the piece, I would just leave it showing the flaws...it might just be less noticeable and show some honest use rather than some attempt to hide something.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Someone turned Bubba loose with a Magic Marker. Should come off with any good solvent, alcohol, turpentine, paint remover, etc.

·
Registered
564 Posts
or even nail polish remover 'should' remove the paint.
I agree. I would note, any time I'm removing paint or something like that from a gun I make sure to use non-acetone nail polish remover. It is not nearly as harsh as acetone. But it wipes the paint right off and leaves the finish untouched. It dries like alcohol and is gone without a trace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts