Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi; I have a chance on a 3rd gen set of Ivory engraved grips for $350.00. The gentlemen paid $365.00 years ago for them. They are unfitted and oversized. My concerns are the Eagles head (does it look funny to you?) and the wing on the right panel is pretty close to the edge and may in sizing get pretty close to being touched by the fitting. The patina from age would be effected by sizing I presume also. I've looked and engraved grips are pretty pricey and this seems like an OK price or is my lust for Ivory grips getting the best of me?? I would really appreciate your valued input as I am on the fence. Thanks in advance, Happy:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
While it's a good price I think your right about the fitting effecting some of the carving,the aging can be matched back by using potassium permanganate but my big concern is the angle on the top of the grips,they appear to be @ the wrong angle,if they are when you straighten them the oversize parts may not be enough for coverage on the straps,I wouldn't buy them w/out first trying them on your gun,I've run into this problem many times w/grips that someone buys & then sent them to me for fitting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your replies, I had pictures on the grips on his SAA but deleted them when my computer went down some time ago. I remember the inside edge towards the backstrap being over just a bit. I don't remember any issues with the top of the grips looking wierd or not fitting properly. I didn't think about the left side being a problem but concur with your thinking. Thanks for the feedback though, it really helps. It may be why he never had them fitted and they did look OK so maybe that would be what I would do as well. Any other thoughts on this as a good or bad deal welcomed, Happy

PS; What is your opinion of the carvings themselves

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.