Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and looking to acquire my first Python soon. I plan on slimming the collection for somethingthat will hold it's value and be amazing to shoot sometimes rather than a bunch of things I don't use. I'm trying to see what's out there and wonder what peoples general opinions are of something like this. Is this what would be considered a very good Python? What about the price, assuming it went to "buy it now"?

What can anybody tell me about 1969 Pythons specifically that I should know or that is of note? It's my birth year and I was wondering if it was a good one for Pythons also?

Thanks to all in advance for helping out a future member of the club!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think you will find that nearly all Pythons are great guns that will continue to increase in value. Typically the guns that are older are considered nicer, but it often does not affect the price on the firearm greatly unless you start getting into the first couple of years of production.

In 1969 a Python would have been offered in Blue or Nickel.

Depending on many factors such as barrel length, quality of the original finish, box and documents, etc. You would be looking at a wide range of possibilities as far as pricing of the weapons go.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
It's all about condition, condition...condition. It also depends on whether the gun comes with the original box and paperwork. Around my neck of the woods a 6 inch blued Python ( my favorite) like that without a box, but in factory fired only condition with the original type 2 walnut target grips brings around $3000-3400. Expect more for nickel or stainless.
Good luck. You have come to the right place to learn abut these great guns. Seek out Marc here on this sight (Keystone Arms). His stuff is top notch and his prices are very fair.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to those who responded so far. My first post and I already screwed up. Here is the Gunbroker auction to the Python I was talking about in the first post; Auction # 480161032

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
As kline has said the price is high for that condition. Might just be my eyes but in a couple of those pictures the finish appears a little thin..copper possibly showing? Be careful with nickel guns. You just never know how much they may have been polished. The nickel plating wears away a little each time they are polished. Polish too much and you see copper below the nickel, and then your finish can flake away. If you like that look, maybe you should consider bright stainless.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Airsoft
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

Got this one for $350 back in the 80s, the picture is 2 years old so they hold up nice. I shoot mine 2 out of three trips to the range for 30 years. If you buy an unfired Python I'll be happy to test it for you. I'll let you shoot my BOA. By the way, the serial numbers started having a prefix letter "E" in '69 so it's a charmed year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. this is all really helpful info. I definitley want something in nickel or stainless in the 4" variety. I have many pistols but this will be my first revolver. After I become proficient I plan to use it as a EDC in certain instances, about 20%-25% percent of the time. I would probably put about 100 rounds a month through it after initial training. I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I can indulge myself a bit as I have at least 2k in guns that were part of an inherited collection that I have no use for so why not ditch them and enjoy one of the finest handguns in the world. I plan to max out at the 4.2k mark. Thanks again for all the helpful tips. Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That one went for $2469. I passed on it but almost bit on this one from the same seller, 481135175. My cap was $3000 on it and it went for $3175. I couldn't justify going higher than 3k with no box or original grips. Gun looked to be in great shape though.

If anyone has a satin/brushed stainless/nickel Python in 4", I am interested.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
If I was considering as high as $3,000`s and could have got THAT python for another $175s, I would have broke my arm reaching for my wallet. I would have a problem with the first $3,000 decision though. Why not a blue python? They are purty too. I am lucky as I have both, a 4" blue and a 2 1/2" nickle. I didn't pay a fraction though of what they bring now. The s&w model 60 was the first stainless gun ever brought out and I bought a early one. Today I do own one more, a model 66-3 3" one of 300 made for Lew Horton. It`s a fine, sought after rare gun. That said, I am not all that crazy for stainless guns. They are good in bad weather and hardly prone to rust. Even so, I never had any gun rust on me to start with.
I think a lot of it is due to my age, 74. When many cops and others started sporting them believe it or not, to me it shouted NEWBE! Blue is still my finish of choice. As others said, the gun for what you want, since you will be shooting and packing it, you dont need to be paying another $1,000s or so, for a box and paper work. Ever think of getting a old trooper or 357 model for less than a third as much? Same gun except for a lighter barrel and they are sweeter to pack. Here are a few of mine. Even have a nickle one too. Also my 4" Python to compare. There are other cheaper fine options.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.