Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of this model AR-15 It is a short barreled AR with the adjustable stock,peep sights,and handle. The seller say it was made in Maine. He thinks it does Not have a chrome lined barrel. It looks like a Colt Ar model 6920.
It is used but no scratches or blemishes to speak of and bore looks good. Do you think $700 is reasonable?

·
Registered
100 Posts
AR's are dirt cheap right now. It's a bushy so ...........It's not a Colt. Wholesale 6920 are about a grand, so a little more and you can get the number 1 maker. I would offer 600 and just be aware of what your getting. It would prob be ok as a range gun to play with. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do yourself a favor, and DO NOT BUY.

If this is going to be a home defense or hard use carbine, save yourself the pain, and buy a reputable manufacturer (Colt, BCM, DD, LMT).

Also, remember that there are NFA rules to follow when purchasing an SBR.

That being said, if you wanted an SBR, you can get a Colt 6933 for ~$1200...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I would agree with other members here, do not buy that.

If it have a shorter than 16" barrel which it would be a SBR, you would need to file SBR paperwork with a fee of $200 and currently about 6 months (or longer) of waiting for processing.

If it have 16" barrel and at even at the lower price it will still require a lot of rework and upgrade, like replacing the front sight post with a 0.040" longer post, properly staking the gas key screws of the bolt carrier, replacing the bolt extractor spring kit, torquing the buffer tube castle nut and staking the castle nut and replacing the standard carbine buffer with a heavier H buffer.

For a lower cost AR I would just recommend getting a Palmetto State Armory carbine and wait for their special sale, they're a newer manufacturer but are using high quality mil-spec parts like FN made barrels, mil-spec parts from the same sources as other major mil-spec brands, and they have good customer service.

Or for just a little lower price of a stadard model Colt LE6920 M4 carbine you could get a lightly used LE6920 carbine, they're very durable and would last for a long, trouble free time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Remington purchased Bushmaster a few years ago IIRC. The Bushmaster company in Maine is now Windham Weaponry.

The original Bushmasters were very good AR's. Can't speak for Windham products.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Old Bushmaster was decent. New Bushmaster is horrible. Old Bushmaster was bought out by new Bushmaster, who destroyed the product. Check out www.[B]windhamweaponry[/B].com/. Windham Weaponry is old Bushmaster with a different name. Research why they rebuilt and you see a true American story and an old Bushmaster quality rifle back on the market. I shoot Colt. I would shoot old BM (WW) in AR platforms and pretty much nothing else.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I must say that I bought a Bushmaster in 06 at the lgs . They sent back that Bushmaster twice. In the time they had the rifle I moved 300 miles away. Bought my second Colt and never looked back. Oh the Bushmaster is now a paper weigh. Can't sell it my lgs will not take it in trade! We call it the jamOmatic and feed it dubious looking ammo. Good luck

·
Registered
370 Posts
The original Bushmasters were very good AR's. Can't speak for Windham products.
I had one of the original Bushmaster XM15E2S models, and it was as nice an AR as you could ever hope for. Very accurate and nice to shoot with a 20" chrome-lined HBAR. I traded it for a LNIB 3rd-Gen Colt Single Action Army, and while I don't regret the Colt, I kind of wish I still had the Bushmaster sometimes. No experience with Windham Weaponry, but the reviews I've heard have been favorable.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Before I made up my mind on buying this Bushmaster, I'd talk with Colt Forum member "twaits", aka Erik. He probably built that rifle in the first place - he used to work for Bushmaster and now works for Windham Weaponry.

PM him and get the real story about the quality of this rifle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.