Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions On Officer\'s Model Match .38

I am considering purchasing this and would appreciate any opinions or comments.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976585509.htm

I don't know as much about the Officer's models and Troopers as I do the Pythons and Diamondbacks.

Can anyone place a visual estimate on when it may have been manufactured by the wood grain box type and the stocks? I haven't had a chance to get the serial number from the dealer yet.

I've looked at many of the Officer's Model Match pistols and have never seen one with this type of stock. Most have the full checkering and appear to be much older. Do this pistol look to be all original? Does this look like a good purchase for a collector grade revolver?

Any comments will be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by manderson (edited 05-01-2005).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: Opinions On Officer\'s Model Match .38

I thought the gold medallions were only for the Pythons, but there have been conversations here where it was said that you could find things that didn't follow old patterns.
The OMM was made from the early 50's to the late 60's so that would seem to be one of the later models by the stocks.
I would say $500 for a NIB model would be a good price.

·
Registered
778 Posts

I paid $495 for a 22 Cal. about a year ago no box. That looks to me like a good deal. Of course you can't shoot 357's in it, but I shoot mostly 38's, and +P loads anyway in my 357's. So go for it. It should be a sweet shooter. Robba

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I've seen OMM pistols with full checkered stocks and a couple with the semi-circle checkering around the Colt emblem which Colt was using on the Pythons in late 60's.

This pistol appears to have the later style with the checkering in a straight line below the emblem. Given the time frame you have posted for the production years of this model, I would have to think that these are not original. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Maybe not a big deal. The price is fair and it looks like it's in great shape. I try to stick with all original for collector purposes.

·
Registered
794 Posts

This is a nice looking gun but what we see just doesn't add up.

If the gun is an OMM then is would have been produced from 1953 to 1969. However the box is from the mid 70's to mid 80's. So it can't be original to the gun. 22-rimfire nailed that one.

The stocks are also not correct for a OMM produced in the 50's and 60's. majic nailed that one.

If it were me, I'd try to hammer him down as the box and stocks are incorrect. You will have to spend money on the correct stocks and they are pricey. The box is not correct for the gun so point out is does not enhance the value.

So you sell the stocks. Since they look correct for later Pythons, if in great shape they will go for good money. Buy the full checkered stocks from Gun Parts (Numrich) for $42 if they still have them. Since the box is not correct for the gun and I suspect it has no label, save it for another gun from the mid 70's to mid 80's.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 05-02-2005).]

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for all the replies and comments folks.

WS23 summed up everything I've been thinking.

Decided to forget about this one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts