Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
folks - looking for expert opinions - i find this to be with interesting and attractive - but not sure of its value. The gun is all original - one of 15 shipped in 1894 to Simmons Hardware, St. Louis, Mo. Colt .45 SAA with 4-3/4" barrel. Mechanically excellent approx. 15% factory original case colors and blued finish - all matching serials and with Colt Letter. The grips are fairly old ivories - the unique non-factory engraving is by a certified master and is authenticated to the serial number.

Would this be more appealing with the original rubber grips ? What are the ivories worth ? What is the aprox. value off this as is and with the original vintage black rubber grips ?

IMG_2659.jpg IMG_2658.JPG View attachment 116301 View attachment 116302 View attachment 116303

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
The 1894 date is very desirable to many. The engraving is what it is. The ivory would bring maybe 700-900 due to the aging which is desirable. Its refinished and refinished over pitting. I'd say someone would bite for 3500. If it was not refinished maybe 4500.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so far - lever action - please give me your opinion about replacing the grips with vintage original hard rubber types and then selling the ivories separately..

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's a long way from "certified master" engraving, the 45 Colt marking is particularly poorly done. I think $700 would be top dollar for those grips. I have sold several better sets of aged ivory (more grain, color, and better age checking) recently at auction and that is what I got.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Yes, $700 is top dollar for those ivory grips, so they are worth $500 to $700. The revolver is an antique with little original finish in .45 Colt. That is worth about $2,000 to $2,500. independent of any considerations relative to the engraving. I should think $2,500 to maybe be a bit at the high end, so $2,200 to $2,400 is probably a good estimate. This is if it had the original rubber grips. As for the engraving--to me, it detracts from the value, as the engraver was not particularly talented. So, in this particular case, it is whatever the market will bear. Perhaps selling in an auction setting would determine its "true value".

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
I still struggle somewhat to understand how ivory stocks that are fitted to one gun can command a premium price when they might not fit correctly on any other gun.
...but if they Do Fit ya got top dollar. Unfortunately it appears someone took a little too much from the inside top maybe as an attempt to square them up and there's a noticible gap. You can't fix that because if you move them closer you loose the fit at the rear of the grip frame. That's a bummer. You could file and shape the grip frame, there's plenty of meat but that makes most guys cringe. Period correct stocks would run 350-450.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm not an expert but the engraving seems pretty crude to me. I think it detracts more than it enhances.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Throw those poor ivories in a pan of WARM baby or mineral oil keep them in warm oil 'til they won't take any more[maybe as much as several days].If someone had bothered to keep those grips hydrated over the years there is no telling how beautiful they would be. YEAH! I know no one did that back in the day. More's the pity! I'll bet they will fill out some but, probably not back to fitting [if ever they did]. Still, beauts anyway! Nick

·
Premium Member
20,171 Posts
Those are very nice looking ivory grips. I have many that have developed similar cracking patterns along the base.
I believe that is just typical of some ivory.

·
Registered
933 Posts
For me, the grips are what makes the gun desireable. If you were to replace the ivories with period correct grips, I believe you would have a pretty hard time getting value out of the gun. The ivories are a plus and the engraving is a negative.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts