Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if I'm allowed to post current auctions?

I saw this on GB and was wondering what others thought of it. Alledged to have been owned by Bill Cody (I know, buy the gun not the story). I know nothing of old Colts, but shouldn't this actually say "Colt" on it somewhere?
Thanks.

Colt SAA Single Action Army, (MFG 1884) : Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com

(Pics from the Auction listing)

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
The only place you will find the word COLT on it is in the barrel address, which in this gun's case has been removed from the top of the barrel. The side of the frame photo you posted shows it has had the patent dates removed, either intentionally or as a result of trying to clean up the corrosion. Pay for the gun only unless there is documented proof it was Cody's. He mentions getting a Colt letter to verify the story. It would be a long shot but 'possible' to have been shipped to Cody as some Colt letters do list the purchaser as well as the shipping destination. But, I would not pay any extra money in buying it hoping for that result. I would however, get the Colt letter ($100) later. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
There are plenty of tools that will remove metal, but darn few that will put it back on.

What you see there is a Whunderwhy. I wonder who did that and why

John Gross

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
I wouldn't trust that gun or the story...No Documentation...So many replaced butchered screws..I would think a letter would have more value than this old paper weight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Even if the story were true, that gun is complete junk.

I can see why Cody gave it away. ;)

That is not honest age and wear. That is blatant abuse by previous owner(s).

I cannot fathom as to why anyone would pay a red cent for that.

Really sad that something with a possible history like that would be in such horrible condition.

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
Before the story secretly becomes a 'Yeah, but what if they're WRONG?' kind of thing...

If this piece were real, there'd already be a Colt letter and it'd be residing in a 'real' auction house, not in a Gunbroker ad, and there'd be Cody aficianados in the wings.

Or not.

The condition looks more like a 'found' piece that was heavily rusted, before it met up with a belt-driven wire wheel and enthusiasm.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My judgment would tell me that any firearm owned by someone famous who relied on the gun would not allow them to be in a state such as that one. I would also think that someone obtaining the arm from the estate would know the value and not abuse it. However I heard that Jessie James mother obtained used handguns and then sold them to supplement her income by saying they belonged to the outlaw. The revolver may have been owned by his company and used in the mock battles. I would want to research it first.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I don't care who owned this gun, I wouldn't want it. In it's current condition It would offend the other SAAs in my small collection.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Lots of things wrong with that one. Seller says he paid $600 for it, which might be parts value and that's all it's good for. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole as for a little more than he's asking (1100) you can get a much better one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.